starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the Trap Bar is Completely Useless | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Rip!
    Sparky

The matter of the Sagittal (learned a new word!) drift I could just imagine how bad that'd be with a heavy load. I messed up my back drifting off course a bit on the squat on Tuesday, and that was not with that heavy a load.

That pic though....
    Thanks for the laugh

Any old school lifter automatically dismisses the trap bar, whether they have ever used it or not. It was refreshing to listen to your video where you actually explained the reasons for not using it, instead of just bad mouthing it because it was new.

I believe the trap bar has uses where a person may be handicapped in a movement, due to injuries or age. As you know, several aging people can not squat, is this something that can be used to replace squat?

I am older and recently started dead lifting but I kept hurting myself. A different joint, muscle or nerve would get injured every time I tried it, so I thought of trying the trap bar a “Safe Alternative”. Unfortunately I hurt myself using the trap bar as well. I had watched instructional videos on how to dead lift, but it wasn’t until I got a personal coach (world deadlift record holder), that I realized the reason for all of my injuries was because I was not lifting properly.

It’s kind of a pain in the ass to load. Also, in gyms you usually have to do it between the smith machine and the preacher curl

I've recently started using the trap bar, I can't say I've had any problems with instability or grip width. I'm 60 and find conventional deadlifts make my back sore for weeks and limit my overall training. The trap bar allows me to feel a heavy weight in my hands, so when I lift in comps the weight is not such a shock to my hands. It doesn't make my back sore - obviously for the reasons stated, it being more akin to a squat position.
    I normally take MR' s advice seriously, but am reluctant to drop it. I suppose it all comes down to whether it's useless or dangerous.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    At first I wondered if you actually owned a trap bar and then I quickly thought about the Jameson / toilet video. I immediately thought to myself "there is no way in hell he owns a trap bar."

On a serious note, considering the instability one can have with this piece of equipment performing a deadlift, I wanted to get your thoughts about a farmers carry with the trap bar? I sometimes use it in the backyard instead of my prowler to mix things up as its easy to load and drag out of my basement. I never had a problem or any injury with it however I don't want to be stupid as I am not young anymore either. Just looking for your 2 cents?

Sparky
    In addition to the instability in the sagittal plane that Rip notes, the potential for torsion about the vertical body axis is IMO even scarier. I once made the mistake of believing that, lacking the proper individual carriers in the gym, I could simulate Farmer's Carries effectively with a trap bar. Not only was the grip and arm position inefficient, but the prospect of torsion after 20-30 paces was sufficient for me never to attempt this again. I see people using the trap bar in the gym for "squatlifting" regularly and shake my head. I'll never touch it.

Thanks for making the video, Rip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12