starting strength gym

Thread: Exotropia

Default Exotropia

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was recently diagnosed with exotropia (eye misalignment). Since about June 2019, every time I wake up from a night of sleep or nap I see double for a period of time; at first it was about ten seconds and now it's about 30 seconds. Prior to visiting the optometrist in July 2019 I didn't wear glasses or have a prescription and since I first got glasses my prescription has gotten worse in the seven months since getting them. My vision was checked by an optometrist the first prescription and an ophthalmologist for my second prescription. I have not updated my prescription yet since I am due for surgery for my exoptropia.

When I perform heavy squats and heavy deadlifts my eyes temporarily cross after the set, and on my heavy squat days I'll get what looks like little blood spots in my pores around my eyes for the rest of the day. My eyes feel really fatigued from the late afternoon on and it's hard to focus and things get increasingly blurry and I have to focus real hard to read things or see things from a distance. Sleep helps as in the morning it's easier to see and focus.

I have surgery in March to relax the muscles surrounding my eyes so it's easier for my brain to control them. The neuro-ophthalmologist says it's a ten day recovery period. Has anyone else experienced this? After the recovery period is it reasonable to jump back into heavy lifts without fear of the pressure from the Valsalva affecting my eye muscles? Is there anything else I should be aware of or think about in this situation? The eye surgery is common and the success rate is high but it's curious to me that this has developed so quickly alongside my worsening vision.

I have a remote SSC and work alongside an SSC in person so I doubt I'm performing the Valsalva incorrectly.

My first question was about your valsalva. Video it.

First half of the video is me performing the Valsalva with my mouth open and the second half of the video is my heavy set of deadlifts from yesterday which I had temporary double-vision afterward.

Getting petechiae (those little spots of bleeding) around your eyes from heavy lifts isn't that rare, but I have not heard of anyone who gets it every time they squat. Those little bleeds are the result of increased vascular pressure in those tissues. If your valsalva needs to be fixed and this stops, great. If not, I would be careful about stressing those tissues in the days after a surgery in that important region. You can forego a week of progress if it means seeing straight for years to come. Talk with your surgeon, find out what he/she thinks about the petechiae and lifting heavy after your surgery. They will undoubtedly be cautious and conservative with recommendations, perhaps overly so, but you should find out what the risks and mechanisms of injury might be.

Also, I would mention them to the surgeon on the off chance you are taking a medication or have a disorder that makes you prone to easy bleeding, which is something you and your surgeon would want to know.

The valsalva looks correct.

starting strength coach development program
    I had surgery on my eyes. My exotropia had nothing to do with the training. The neuro ophthalmologist said that people with this condition just have it and it presents itself about this time in life (late 20s). He said basically my eye muscles just get tired of focusing on things all day so throughout the day my muscles just relax and it causes the double vision, extra stress just accelerates the tiredness. I'll have to have the surgery about once a decade he said.