starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix mobility issues before training squat?

Default Fix mobility issues before training squat?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just started the SS program just last week and I have a question about my squat form. Last night I recorded myself squatting without a bar to take a look at my form and I noticed my back starts to curl (butt wink) before I even get to parallel. It turns out I never actually get to parallel, instead my trunk has to go more hoizontal to get "lower" without my hips dropping much further. I think it has to do with my poor ankle and hip mobility, so I've started to work out those issues. My question is should I continue the program and keep squatting while working on improving my form, or fix my form before I even start the program? Thanks.

It is vanishingly rare for "mobility" to create depth or back rounding problems. Instead, these are due to incorrect stance and knee position, lack of kinesthetic awareness, and/or inadequate strength. Start by reviewing the squat chapter in Starting Strength and making adjustments as needed. Next, record videos of your attempts and post them to the technique forum for help.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    It is vanishingly rare for "mobility" to create depth or back rounding problems. Instead, these are due to incorrect stance and knee position, lack of kinesthetic awareness, and/or inadequate strength. Start by reviewing the squat chapter in Starting Strength and making adjustments as needed. Next, record videos of your attempts and post them to the technique forum for help.
    For those with inadequate strength, would you advise leg press as an alternative ? My wife still isn't going to parallel, although she is a lot better than when she began, but that last inch or so appears beyond her. Like the OP, she also moves her back more parallel instead of bringing her hips lower and I know this is going to end in knee issues as the weight increases. I've tried bottle squats, box squats and then just shouting at her to go lower over and over :-) but it 'aint happening and she gets frustrated with me and I just want to get on with my own lifts. The leg press seems like a better solution to me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You've saved my marriage and my training sessions..double points.
    I must be gaining knowledge as I had decided it was lack of strength, rather than mobility at the bottom of the ROM which was causing the issue. She just watched the video with me so I can genuinely say ...but Rip said.

Session today, she found 88lbs 10x3 difficult, particularly at the bottom position. She weighs 126lbs, so the theory is correct. We will add 5/10lbs per week until 130lbs and then back under the bar. Thanks.

what about the alternative problem where the circumference of your thighs, midsection and calves physically prevent you from reaching a full squat position?

We find that 500-pound men have trouble with squatting to depth. But they have a lot of more important problems too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    For those with inadequate strength, would you advise leg press as an alternative ? My wife still isn't going to parallel, although she is a lot better than when she began, but that last inch or so appears beyond her. Like the OP, she also moves her back more parallel instead of bringing her hips lower and I know this is going to end in knee issues as the weight increases. I've tried bottle squats, box squats and then just shouting at her to go lower over and over :-) but it 'aint happening and she gets frustrated with me and I just want to get on with my own lifts. The leg press seems like a better solution to me at this point.
    I have been down this road for sure. I have heard Rip advise against coaching your significant other, and it's solid advice. Thankfully I did manage to get to the point where my girlfriend can do a below parallel squat. She is coming down with the bar forward of mid foot, but I think that might be because she's still using a fairly light weight on the bar. But man, getting to this point has led to a lot of friction, to be sure.

starting strength coach development program
    She cannot squat the empty bar over mid-foot with correct form. Neither can you.

Understanding the Master Cue | Mark Rippetoe

But you're right: stop trying to coach her if she's come this far already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast