starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progressing from Lat Pulldown to Chin Ups | Robert Santana

Default Progressing from Lat Pulldown to Chin Ups | Robert Santana

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Coach Robert Santana describes his method for getting lifters to their first chin up using a lat pulldown machine.

Thank you for the demonstration. This was just added to my training.

I may have missed it in the video but was there a recommended rest interval mentioned between sets?

Hey Robert, quick question about frequency. Did you mean doing chin ups 3x a week or lat pull down 3x a week? I ask because in the NLP the chin up frequency works at 1 or 2 times a week (depending on whether you do work out A or B most that week)

Quote Originally Posted by David Sanders View Post
    I may have missed it in the video but was there a recommended rest interval mentioned between sets?
    From experience, a minute is plenty at the start of the progression increasing to 3 to 4 minutes a few weeks later near the end of the progression.

My experience is that 5 minutes is best, as described in the blue book.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusSulla View Post
    Hey Robert, quick question about frequency. Did you mean doing chin ups 3x a week or lat pull down 3x a week? I ask because in the NLP the chin up frequency works at 1 or 2 times a week (depending on whether you do work out A or B most that week)
    I like them done twice per week because I find that most can recover from them rather quickly. I've ran people through thrice per week as well but I do find that they are tough after deadlifts so you'll have to use your best judgement there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I like them done twice per week because I find that most can recover from them rather quickly. I've ran people through thrice per week as well but I do find that they are tough after deadlifts so you'll have to use your best judgement there.
    Thanks for the video, and like Steve R, I just have a couple of programming questions, and one equipment-related challenge.

1. The video says do sets of 10, three times per week. Do you typically recommend 3 sets, even as the trainee progresses to the heavier weights, where he cannot complete 10 reps? Or, as the reps go down when the weight gets closer to the trainee's bodyweight, the number of sets goes up, so that the total number of reps remains around 30?

2. The gym in which I train has a Cybex pulldown machine--the weight stack is mostly obscured by an outer casing. The plate jumps are 10lbs. If I cannot fit magnetic or other incremental weights to the stack, should I simply add reps from workout to workout? For example:

Workout 1: 3 sets of 10 @ 100 lbs
    Workout 2: 3 sets of 10 @ 110 lbs
    Workout 3: 1 set of 10 @ 120 lbs; 1 set of 8 @ 120 lbs; 1 set of 6 @ 120 lbs
    Workout 4: 1 set of 10 @ 120 lbs; 1 set of 9 @ 120 lbs; 1 set of 7 @ 120 lbs
    ...and keep doing 120 lbs until I can get a full 10 reps in each set?

Bodyweight is about 195, so maybe at some point it makes sense (perhaps at 150 lbs) to just move to light band chin-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cromwell View Post
    Thanks for the video, and like Steve R, I just have a couple of programming questions, and one equipment-related challenge.

1. The video says do sets of 10, three times per week. Do you typically recommend 3 sets, even as the trainee progresses to the heavier weights, where he cannot complete 10 reps? Or, as the reps go down when the weight gets closer to the trainee's bodyweight, the number of sets goes up, so that the total number of reps remains around 30?

2. The gym in which I train has a Cybex pulldown machine--the weight stack is mostly obscured by an outer casing. The plate jumps are 10lbs. If I cannot fit magnetic or other incremental weights to the stack, should I simply add reps from workout to workout? For example:

Workout 1: 3 sets of 10 @ 100 lbs
    Workout 2: 3 sets of 10 @ 110 lbs
    Workout 3: 1 set of 10 @ 120 lbs; 1 set of 8 @ 120 lbs; 1 set of 6 @ 120 lbs
    Workout 4: 1 set of 10 @ 120 lbs; 1 set of 9 @ 120 lbs; 1 set of 7 @ 120 lbs
    ...and keep doing 120 lbs until I can get a full 10 reps in each set?

Bodyweight is about 195, so maybe at some point it makes sense (perhaps at 150 lbs) to just move to light band chin-up.
    Start with 3-4 sets of 10 then drop the reps and add sets as necessary. I typically go 3 x 10, then 3 x 8, then 5 x 5, then 5 x 3. Can you fit a 2.5 or 5 lb plate on the pin for the weight stack?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Start with 3-4 sets of 10 then drop the reps and add sets as necessary. I typically go 3 x 10, then 3 x 8, then 5 x 5, then 5 x 3. Can you fit a 2.5 or 5 lb plate on the pin for the weight stack?
    I don't think you can add the small plate on the pin--the pin is too short, and there is a there is actually a plastic outer casing around the stack that would interfere. Odd design. I'm really not too worried about it. The set/rep modification will work just fine to get me on the chin-up bar. Thank you for your insight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast