starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday lifting

Default Holiday lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've decided that this time I'm going to find a gym so as not to have to start back afresh. So, I've located a good gym with everything needed to continue lifting. As I'm on holiday I don't particularly want to end each session like I do at home as we will be doing some longer walks/sightseeing/driving.

I intend to strip back my routine to keep it within an hour and do 2/3 session a week over the two weeks. I was thinking of a heavy singles, doubles, triples on squat, Bench, DL and Press with some back off sets of doubles/triples for 5/6 sets, but eliminate accessory dumbbell work, rows, Lat pulls, dips, leg press. Any thoughts ?

Do you have a specific question or do you just want our general impression of your plan?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Do you have a specific question or do you just want our general impression of your plan?
    The specific question would be asking what you think I should ?; this being what I think I should do and asking for a critique of that. Either, or, any help appreciated.

Two weeks rest, if you have been training hard for a long period of time, might be beneficial

I doubt you will lose much if anything.

I occasionally go on hunting trips etc for that long and it never harms my training.

I’m not a competitor I just train to be able to do the things I want to do when not in my weight room.

I would go enjoy your vacation and not worry about it, those weights will be waiting for you when you get back home.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    Two weeks rest, if you have been training hard for a long period of time, might be beneficial

I doubt you will lose much if anything.

I occasionally go on hunting trips etc for that long and it never harms my training.

I’m not a competitor I just train to be able to do the things I want to do when not in my weight room.

I would go enjoy your vacation and not worry about it, those weights will be waiting for you when you get back home.
    That's what I did previously, took me much longer than I thought to get back to where I was.....then there's the DOMs Maybe younger lifters, or older, but more long time lifters can get away with it ?

I was a coach at the gym own by a multiple IPF world masters bench press champion. We had a few good national and international competitors as well. Off season they all quit lifting for at least a month. No lifting at all.

10/10.

Frankly, any lifting you can do over vacation is a win.

What's your non-vacation program, and how long have you been doing it?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Frankly, any lifting you can do over vacation is a win.

What's your non-vacation program, and how long have you been doing it?
    4 days a week at the moment for the last 12 weeks on a recomp diet, I have another 4 weeks of that before changing it up.

Mon: barbell bench heavy and volume dynamic, DB bench, Machine rows, LTE
    Tues: Squats heavy and volume dynamic, pause squats, leg press
    Thurs:Press heavy and volume dynamic, DB seated press, Lat pulls, assisted dips
    Fri: light Squats, DL Heavy and dynamic volume, RDLs

Vacation lifting?

Backsquat
    3x5 @ whatever you feel like.

Bench press
    3x5 @ whatever you’re feel like

Deadlift
    1x5 @ whatever you’re feel like

40 minutes in and out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    4 days a week at the moment for the last 12 weeks on a recomp diet, I have another 4 weeks of that before changing it up.

Mon: barbell bench heavy and volume dynamic, DB bench, Machine rows, LTE
    Tues: Squats heavy and volume dynamic, pause squats, leg press
    Thurs:Press heavy and volume dynamic, DB seated press, Lat pulls, assisted dips
    Fri: light Squats, DL Heavy and dynamic volume, RDLs
    I would just continue on with my main program.

You can just do two heavy but low volume sessions as a modified deload if you really can't do the program you've been doing because of time.

Day 1: Squat Heavyx3x2, Bench Heavyx3x2

Day 2: Deadlift Heavyx3, Press Heavyx3x2

Heavy shouldn't be a 3RM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast