starting strength gym

Thread: GOMAD advice

Default GOMAD advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey,
    I just discovered Starting Strength in December 2019, I've listened to both Starting Strength and Practical Programming for Strength Training twice on Audible in the last 6 weeks.

In both books Mr Rippetoe talks about the GOMAD diet for a hard gaining youth.
    I'm a very active half-marathon runner/triathlete in my mid forties, last year I switched over to competing in Spartan Races, which is why I ended up looking for strength training advice.
    I'm just about to start the Liner Progression training as a novice (as advised in the aforementioned books). I was a gymnast in my youth, then later tried weight training and martial arts, although I have remained very active since my youth, I'm happy to start the program from the position of an absolute novice.

Please can I have some advice ?

How much milk would you advise drinking a day for a novice 183lbs - 5'8 mid forties male?
    I don't seem to have any trouble putting on weight if i give myself half a chance.

This is my first post, please don't crucify me if this has been addressed elsewhere, I've looked but couldn't find an answer.

Cheers,
    Jonathan.

Milk is to add calories in a convenient way. Use it if you need to add calories and milk is convenient for you. Adjust as needed.

This topic has been addressed a ridiculous number of times, something that strikes me as rather strange given the simplicity of the subject.

Here are a couple of articles discussing things:
    One
    Two
    Three

Please use this for more.

Quote Originally Posted by JKS View Post
    Hey,
    I just discovered Starting Strength in December 2019, I've listened to both Starting Strength and Practical Programming for Strength Training twice on Audible in the last 6 weeks.

In both books Mr Rippetoe talks about the GOMAD diet for a hard gaining youth.
    I'm a very active half-marathon runner/triathlete in my mid forties, last year I switched over to competing in Spartan Races, which is why I ended up looking for strength training advice.
    I'm just about to start the Liner Progression training as a novice (as advised in the aforementioned books). I was a gymnast in my youth, then later tried weight training and martial arts, although I have remained very active since my youth, I'm happy to start the program from the position of an absolute novice.

Please can I have some advice ?

How much milk would you advise drinking a day for a novice 183lbs - 5'8 mid forties male?
    I don't seem to have any trouble putting on weight if i give myself half a chance.

This is my first post, please don't crucify me if this has been addressed elsewhere, I've looked but couldn't find an answer.

Cheers,
    Jonathan.
    How much are you consuming without the milk. You probably don't need that much given your age and baseline bodyweight provided you can eat enough.