starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does this count as a completed set?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Extrapolating a 10 second break during a set into a half hour nap between singles is exactly where I was going with it, thanks for pointing it out!
    Ten seconds is ten seconds. If you put the weight down and walk away from the bar, that's a rest. I nearly did so on a heavy double squat. I walked it back in, intending to rack it, but I didn't, so completed the double. Had I got that bar back on the J hooks, rested a few seconds then had another go, I would have counted it as 2 heavy singles. This is useful information in the log. If the OP did 3 then 2, then followed up with a set of 5 there is progress.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Thanks for all replies.

I decided to do the weight again today, because I didn't feel right moving on, and my back was a little bit sore, so I wanted to be conservative.

Weird because today wasn't as hard as Tuesday. Did I want to walk away after #4, hell yes. Did I? Nope.

Now, if I could just get my squat in good order........
    That's how you build the lift. Turning what you think is impossible into actual. As the weight gets really heavy, this becomes ever more important. A lot of it is mental. Anytime I've walked away from an incomplete set in the past I've cursed myself for doing. I now always try to complete even if I fail and I never curse myself for actually trying and failing. It's an amazing thing to push at the boundaries and see progress.

Well done for not giving up on number 4.

This is interesting that you post this. I am struggling with the squat; there's a fear (of reinjuring my back) which is leading to a major lack of confidence. I can (more accurately, am in the process of learning how to) figure out how to get through a hard set of DLs. I have yet to figure it out in squat. My form sucks (Pete is coaching me...poor guy), so it is a matter of getting it corrected and learning how it is supposed to feel on those last reps, and not being scared. This is all new to me, and it sucks to suck at something....

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    That's how you build the lift. Turning what you think is impossible into actual. As the weight gets really heavy, this becomes ever more important. A lot of it is mental. Anytime I've walked away from an incomplete set in the past I've cursed myself for doing. I now always try to complete even if I fail and I never curse myself for actually trying and failing. It's an amazing thing to push at the boundaries and see progress.

Well done for not giving up on number 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Ten seconds is ten seconds. If you put the weight down and walk away from the bar, that's a rest. I nearly did so on a heavy double squat. I walked it back in, intending to rack it, but I didn't, so completed the double. Had I got that bar back on the J hooks, rested a few seconds then had another go, I would have counted it as 2 heavy singles. This is useful information in the log. If the OP did 3 then 2, then followed up with a set of 5 there is progress.
    stop, we are not squat nazis. He got his 5 - next time will be "unbroken" but no reason to be fanatical.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    This is interesting that you post this. I am struggling with the squat; there's a fear (of reinjuring my back) which is leading to a major lack of confidence. I can (more accurately, am in the process of learning how to) figure out how to get through a hard set of DLs. I have yet to figure it out in squat. My form sucks (Pete is coaching me...poor guy), so it is a matter of getting it corrected and learning how it is supposed to feel on those last reps, and not being scared. This is all new to me, and it sucks to suck at something....
    Firstly it's a matter of making sure you have good form and know that the weight you are lifting isn't excessive. The second of these criteria is learned from keeping an accurate logbook. If you are on NLP then it's all 5s, so each week you are adding 5lbs.

At some point, that will translate into a set of squats that are heavier than you feel comfortable with. Its a mental thing, not physical. The fear is that of failing the rep, but, unless the bar has been secretly loaded with much more weight, or you are really unwell, then it can be done, because you did it with a mere 5lbs less. There will be a sense after the third, or maybe forth squat that it isn't possible- the thing is, until you actually try there is no way of knowing, so, you have to risk failure to gain success.

This repeated mental challenge of facing fear of failure is where good things happen. Not only physical strength, but massive confidence. Mastering the fear over and over builds you more than you imagine it could. Not only tougher on the outside, but calmer and more confident inwardly-a glow of growing self-esteem -feed it, you will be glad you did.

10 seconds is no where near enough time to recover and gain an advantage for additional reps imo. If you think so, post videos of yourself taking 10 second vids between sets. Of course this doesn’t apply to people moving small amounts of weight. You prob can recover sooner if you squat 150 lbs vs 300 for example. I count the set but DO put the asterisk by it to say, don’t make stepping away a habit.

To me it’s like a bad rep during a set. Do you count it? I do but I make mental (and sometimes written) notes on reps that were suboptimal in an effort to improve form and avoid injury moving forward.

Hope it helps

starting strength coach development program
    All these comments help, thanks to everyone.

And if this was a bike workout on my trainer with intervals, I'm not quitting... Because I know what that feels like and am prepared. I've been doing above average cardio work for 2 decades.

I've been doing SS for 6 weeks. My disc herniation isn't going to snap with a set of squats. I know that as I am typing this on my couch. I need to continually remind myself of this mind-set when I am tired.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12