starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this count as a completed set?

Default Does this count as a completed set?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Today, I 'completed' DL @ 235x5. This is a big deal for me. BUT....After rep 3. I had to walk away for 10 seconds, and got reset. I walked away because I was going to quit the workout, but decided to finish. Does that count as a completed, full set? Or not really? Why would I think it wouldn't count? Because there was 10-15 seconds of complete recovery and resetting of my position. Also, I don't know shit. I literally just got the book yesterday, and haven't been able to dig into it yet; so I have NOT read it yet, if this question/issue is raised.

Also, I went up 5lbs from my last workout, but today seemed/felt SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than I remember. But it's only 5 lbs. Is that normal to feel like that sometimes?

Thanks.

No. 3 reps and 2 reps.

The whole point about lifting the next progression is that it should feel heavy.

Are you using chalk ? Have you moved to switched grip/thumb lock overhand grip ? There is a point at which the bar is twisting out of the hand and it shows itself up as feeling particularly heavy. That's around 265lbs for me, on a single warm up, so, 235lbs for 3 would likely to feel that way to a novice.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Today, I 'completed' DL @ 235x5. This is a big deal for me. BUT....After rep 3. I had to walk away for 10 seconds, and got reset. I walked away because I was going to quit the workout, but decided to finish. Does that count as a completed, full set? Or not really? Why would I think it wouldn't count? Because there was 10-15 seconds of complete recovery and resetting of my position. Also, I don't know shit. I literally just got the book yesterday, and haven't been able to dig into it yet; so I have NOT read it yet, if this question/issue is raised.

Also, I went up 5lbs from my last workout, but today seemed/felt SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than I remember. But it's only 5 lbs. Is that normal to feel like that sometimes?

Thanks.
    90% of this training is 50% mental. You did the work, next time do 5 in a row, next time don't quit.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Hell yes, you got the five!

But the bar feeling so much heaver after just a small increase could be significant. The every-session deadlift or every-other-session quickly gives way to the weekly deadlift. You may not be recovering completely between deadlift sessions. Doing that will tear you down in short order.

10 seconds is nowhere near long enough to make a difference so while its a broken set, you still did the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    10 seconds is nowhere near long enough to make a difference so while its a broken set, you still did the work.
    In that case the OP would still have done the work had he done 5 singles with a half hour nap between them. Walking away from the bar for a break, is not a set of 5 unless we have moved into la la land. If he had stood up, taken a big breath and immediately taken hold of the bar again, then that would count as a set. There isn't anything particularly wrong with 3 and 2, but why start pretending it's five ?

Thanks for all replies.

I decided to do the weight again today, because I didn't feel right moving on, and my back was a little bit sore, so I wanted to be conservative.

Weird because today wasn't as hard as Tuesday. Did I want to walk away after #4, hell yes. Did I? Nope.

Now, if I could just get my squat in good order........

I'd say no, but I'd still add five pounds next session.

You could have done it if you just kept going. On deadlifts, especially as a novice, your "this sucks time to stop" meter tends to redline before your muscles actually fail.

ah, I don't know,
    you took your hands off the bar, and you walked away,
    it's not the hands off the bar,
    it's the walking away,
    just do the weight one more time, for 5.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    In that case the OP would still have done the work had he done 5 singles with a half hour nap between them. Walking away from the bar for a break, is not a set of 5 unless we have moved into la la land. If he had stood up, taken a big breath and immediately taken hold of the bar again, then that would count as a set. There isn't anything particularly wrong with 3 and 2, but why start pretending it's five ?
    Extrapolating a 10 second break during a set into a half hour nap between singles is exactly where I was going with it, thanks for pointing it out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast