starting strength gym

Thread: Training while learning in University

Default Training while learning in University

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am very curious about knowing if someone who is going to the university, for getting computer sciance degree or any kind of "Tearing ass" studing degree, have time to train??
    Or people just "pause" their training programs until after the degree, so they can focus on it?
    In my case, i am now doing 5 point math course and tommorow and starting to work in paint factory and my day if almost full....

I have a bachelor's in engineering and about to finish my master's in computer science. I've always trained while attending university. Although, I've also mostly skipped my classes and avoided going to the university as much as possible. Not advocating that -- but I always could learn better and faster from a book than a lecture. If you value your training you have to prioritize it. Besides -- no one can productively study for 10 hours a day anyway. Taking 3 hours to go train is a good break.

Make time.

I know engineers and CS majors love their "we don't sleep" memes, but the fact is that you should plan your schedule for lifting like you plan for sleep or eating or getting drunk. If it's important to you, you will make the time. Don't accept that "I'm getting a degree, I don't have time to train."
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

When I was in school for engineering I worked out at the university gym. Wasn’t perfect, but if I had a 9am class I would work out beforehand. Sometimes I got lucky and had a 2 hr gap in the middle of the day and would work out then. Usually hit a small reload during finals but otherwise I didn’t miss any significant stretch of training during school.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Make time.

I know engineers and CS majors love their "we don't sleep" memes, but the fact is that you should plan your schedule for lifting like you plan for sleep or eating or getting drunk. If it's important to you, you will make the time. Don't accept that "I'm getting a degree, I don't have time to train."
    This.
    Also, don't expect things to get any easier once you have your degree and start to work. Time is never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    This.
    Also, don't expect things to get any easier once you have your degree and start to work. Time is never enough.
    I never had more free time than when I was in school. Full time engineering job, commute, kids, owning a house is way more time and energy intensive than 4 hours of class a day.

starting strength coach development program
    Get the idea of "tearing ass studying" degree out of your head. Computer Science and mathematics is as hard as you make it, and you chose it. You have ample time to train and sleep, so train and sleep. It'll make studying easy.