starting strength gym

Thread: Training During Recovery from Surgery

Default Training During Recovery from Surgery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am looking for training/exercise suggestions I can do during recovery from surgery:

Later this week I have out patient surgery on my back to remove a lipoma from just below my right shoulder blade. The doctor says no significant exercise for at least two weeks after which he will remove the stitches. Currently I train 4 times per week and not looking forward to ramping back up after a two week layoff and getting sore. I have a stationary bike so I can do some conditioning and thinking that I can do some lunges as well. Any suggestions you might have for additional training I can do without pulling out the stitches would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think you test each exercise yourself and see what hurts the sutures. Only way to tell.

Two weeks off isn't a long time in terms of your strength and size. When you get back to lifting you may even find a brief break like that will re-sensitize you to training. Deloads/time off is regularly programmed in blocks for later intermediate and advanced lifters for this reason.

There again, if you can train without interfering with your recovery, then why not?

Thanks Mark. I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Devin Morrison View Post
    Two weeks off isn't a long time in terms of your strength and size. When you get back to lifting you may even find a brief break like that will re-sensitize you to training. Deloads/time off is regularly programmed in blocks for later intermediate and advanced lifters for this reason.

There again, if you can train without interfering with your recovery, then why not?
    Hey Devin - Thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.