starting strength gym

Thread: Neck/ Trap Strain

Default Neck/ Trap Strain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I keep hurting my neck/trap area when overhead pressing. Anything I can do to avoid this? It only seems to happens when I go really heavy.

Fix your press technique. Video.

Thanks, It’s almost impossible to get a video at my gym I am working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstrain View Post
    I keep hurting my neck/trap area when overhead pressing. Anything I can do to avoid this? It only seems to happens when I go really heavy.
    I'm not able to press heavy (most recent was 112.5x5X3), but I was getting pain in my neck when pressing and also deadlifting. After watching a video of myself, I realized I was doing weird things with my neck/head/traps when the weight felt heavy (e.g. clenching teeth, putting my head down, squeezing my shoulders towards my neck). Since I started consciously focusing on keeping my neck neutral when lifting (and not clenching my teeth), I haven't had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    I'm not able to press heavy (most recent was 112.5x5X3), but I was getting pain in my neck when pressing and also deadlifting. After watching a video of myself, I realized I was doing weird things with my neck/head/traps when the weight felt heavy (e.g. clenching teeth, putting my head down, squeezing my shoulders towards my neck). Since I started consciously focusing on keeping my neck neutral when lifting (and not clenching my teeth), I haven't had any issues.
    I am 200 lbs and pressing 162.5 3x5.I do get a crazy pump in my traps whenever I overhead press. This is not unique to SS. In the past I have hurt the left side so bad, by doing hammer strength presses, that I had nerve pain for weeks. I have also strained my right side with dumbbells multiple times. Now with SS I have strained my right side twice. During the workout I feel fine but the next day I have to turn all the way around when someone calls my name lol. I am working on getting a video of all my lifts, but I think I am going to have to swallow my pride and ask a stranger to video tape me.

starting strength coach development program
    I think you have a cervical pathology. Get an MRI.