starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 sets of 5 for pullups, why did this work so well?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    My meaning was more that, because 2 min rest isn't very long, the energy systems were tailored to the higher end of rep ranges. When the time came to do 15+ reps, you were already adapted for that kind of activity from an energy systems stand point.
    Thanks Andrew, great point.

I have experienced the same results with pull-ups using a similar program. However this only works when you are under-trained at body weight pull-ups. This will not work for weighted movements if your goal is to lift heavy weights. In other words 20 sets of 5 reps of 200lb squats will not get you to a 315lb squat. ]
    Interesting thought, wasn't really going that direction. I would think that if you can do 10 reps of 200 lbs now, doing 20 sets of 5 reps of 200 lb squats would get you to 15 reps of 200 lb squats relatively quickly (if you could recover) because it's directed at work capacity, more to Andrew Lewis's point. Overall I think if your goal is 315 you are still better doing the regular SS 3x5 progression

What this appears to really be about is more along the lines of "sports specific" training for strength-endurance.

I noticed something similar years ago (long before starting strength), although at much lower volumes than you were doing. I started doing 4 sets across on pullups, and adding a rep when I could do all the reps of all 4 sets. If I did not get all the reps on the last set then I would do some negatives or something. I made better progress this way than any other regimen I have tried. I liked that it was mentally easier than some other approaches, because the first two sets were fairly easy and only on the last set was I really pushing myself to failure.

Maybe what Rip is hinting at is that the sets-across approach is the same as the SS 3x5 program, except the parameter that is changed is reps, not weight. We don't vary the weight on each set so that each is a maximal effort. In each case there is are a number of sub-maximal sets and then one set more or less to failure. That, combined that with what I think is the commonly-agreed-upon fact that pullups respond well to volume and frequency, could explain your success.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post

Is there a rationale' / case for sub-maximal loads lifted for sub-maximal reps but for many sets?
    Absolutely there is a rationale, and you don't have to look very far through training programs of successful athletes, soldiers or a million gym bros to see it utilized.
    It's not uncommon for prisoners to do 1000 pullups a day, and guess what - they get very good at pullups.

Now what happens if you try to do 1000 deadlifts a day. Nothing good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12