starting strength gym

Thread: Intentionally plateauing-ramifications

Default Intentionally plateauing-ramifications

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This may very well get me called stupid, but the realities of life are what they are.

I’m down to 3 pairs of pants that fit and can’t afford to buy new clothes right now (6 kids, 1 in college, tuition is due). I’ve made my initial goal, and am considering a forced stall until I can afford some bigger pants. (Yes, I’ve read the pants thread, Duluth relaxed fit is all I fit into right now besides my kilt. Legs and ass are just too big!)

If I force a stall/hang out at current levels, will I be able to restart and finish my LP later, or am I pretty much done? I’ve reached the Advanced Novice phase wherein I squat lighter on deadlift day anyway since full weight squats were sapping me so much I couldn’t muster the effort for a heavy set of pulls.

I didn’t see anything about this topic when I searched.

Thanks

It would be better to start a GoFundMe page for some new pants. I'll kick in a dollar. Carhartts are about $40.

Six kids? You should have wrapped up that thing.

I’ve maxed out my Carhartts (logger cut even) and had to pitch them. So far the Duluth relaxed fit fire hose pants are fitting the bill...barely.

Waist is still a 32 but hips are 42 and I just can’t fit into them anymore. If we get into an early fire season I’ll be able to wear my uniform pants most days and that will carry me long enough to get some new threads. So if I stall at this point while I still have some clothes to wear, will I be able to restart?

Thanks

Wife was a widow. Hers mine and ours situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RElliott View Post
    (Yes, I’ve read the pants thread, Duluth relaxed fit is all I fit into right now besides my kilt. Legs and ass are just too big!)
    There's a pants thread? I need to look into this. I'm having trouble thanks to the hipster skinny jean fad of the recent era. I miss the old baggy jeans.

The short answer is yes, why not? Your NLP is defined by your ability to continue to add weight to the bar each workout. When you come back in a few months, probably best for a minor reset and just start working back up.

The real questions are, "what will you do on the plateau; will you lose interest with lack of progress; and how are you doing NLP and still a 32 inch waist?"

I started at 5’10” and 160 and I’m up to 190. I’ve done PT every work day for 20 years, so losing interest is not a concern—a day without PT is a wasted day. Been very strict about diet and because of past history with running/endurance exercise I’ve largely pulled off a clean bulk-a little extra fluff around the middle but in general just 250-350 cal over maintenance a day for 7 months.

starting strength coach development program
    As to how: I’d just keep my current lifts without adding to the bar every workout for say a month and a half. I’m at 305x5 squat, 225x5 bench, 375x5 deadlift, and 130x5 overhead press (breathing and bracing issue there, I keep losing tension. I’ll figure it out).

If Rip’s suntan analogy works out, I should stay the same with the same stimulus and not get any tanner.