starting strength gym

Thread: Going to be in Glendale week of 3/2...any gym recs?

Default Going to be in Glendale week of 3/2...any gym recs?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have emailed Robert on the SS Gym in Phoenix, I'm just not sure I can get there in a reasonable time (30 minutes or so) or $$ (I assume uber is pricey for that drive). If that's my only option, I'll drive there. if it was a bit closer, I'd go here, without question.

Any others that people could recommend for a 1-day 'membership' that is actually in Glendale? I'm staying at the Renaissance by the stadium and arena. A very quick google search pulled up your typical national chains, and 2 crossfit gyms that seem close.

Thanks.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Are you looking for a gym to train on your own? Or do you need coaching, programming input, and/or nutrition advice? If the latter, a drive to see Santana is worth the time and money.

Gym to do one workout that week.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Gym to do one workout that week.
    I’ll put a few details in this reply that you probably don’t need, but just in case this is useful to anyone else reading.

Start searching for black iron gyms. There probably won’t be a nearby one, because they’re typically located in industrial areas that aren’t near places where you’d get a hotel. I’m familiar with one in the area, but can’t recommend it based on our experience there.

If you can’t find one nearby that’s more convenient than seeing Santana, bite the bullet and train at a big box gym. Most of the major national gym chains have adequate equipment for doing the program, with the exception of the deadlift in most cases - if the gym has hex plates and/or uneven floors, it is a bad idea.

If I’m in your shoes I’d look for an LA Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, Gold’s, etc. I’d call in advance to confirm that a drop in is possible and to confirm the price (it should be $20-30). I’d also confirm how many power racks they have - most all gyms have at least one, but it’s worth asking. The more the better - try to find a gym with 6-8, because they will be busy.

You will need to bring your own chalk, belt, and micro plates. You’ll need to also bring an extraordinary amount of patience. There are going to be people doing inexplicable things that are a danger to themselves and perhaps even to you, depending on the extent of the nonsense. Keep your expectations low about the quality of the equipment and avoid pulling from the floor unless you can confirm that they have round plates and a platform (many of the big chains are adding these now).

There are hidden dangers too: Slippery barbells that slide down your back. Managers that won’t let you use chalk (ask for forgiveness, not permission and leave the place cleaner than you found it). Foot traffic that’s so close to the racks that it’s possible to get bumped into mid-rep. Aggressive gym members that are eager to create conflict. “Expert-lifter” gym members spotting your set without your request or permission - this is worse that stealing your rep on the bench, I have had a guy come up and try to hug me from behind during a heavy set of squats.

It’s bleak. Good luck navigating. My recommendation is to avoid the risks and to support a fellow community member that’s making his living doing this (Santana).
    Last edited by Ray Gillenwater; 02-23-2020 at 11:42 PM.

For Big box if you can't find a powerlifting gym:

LA Fitness has recently rebranded some of their locations to "Esporta Fitness." These locations have gone 24hr and have put in platforms with bumper plates. (The regular LA Fitness locatons usually have the 12-sided plates.) There is one on Thomas Rd in Phoenix ~6mi from where you are staying. Also EOS Fitness has platforms and bumper plates. They have several locations.