starting strength gym

Thread: My wife's core strength

Default My wife's core strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, I just returned from an ER visit on Monday. My wife had back spasm, so bad she needed drugs.

Now that we are two days out, her primary doctor suggested she see a physical therapist to help strengthen her core.

We have have a squat rack in the garage and I have successfully strengthened my core. So far I am keeping my mouth shut because nobody cares what I think, Im just a gym rat.

Any suggested reading that I could send her that might get her thinking about squats and deadlifts?

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

I recommend keeping your expectations low. If your wife's doctor or PT has a compelling argument that's contrary to anything in the below articles, we'd like to invite them onto the podcast for a discussion.

1) Core Stability Training
    2) Abs

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    I recommend keeping your expectations low. If your wife's doctor or PT has a compelling argument that's contrary to anything in the below articles, we'd like to invite them onto the podcast for a discussion.

1) Core Stability Training
    2) Abs
    Thank you for the articles. I will read them and pass them along.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    So, I just returned from an ER visit on Monday. My wife had back spasm, so bad she needed drugs.

Now that we are two days out, her primary doctor suggested she see a physical therapist to help strengthen her core.

We have have a squat rack in the garage and I have successfully strengthened my core. So far I am keeping my mouth shut because nobody cares what I think, Im just a gym rat.

Any suggested reading that I could send her that might get her thinking about squats and deadlifts?
    I've never heard of a physical therapist that followed the starting strength model, but that doesn't mean they have nothing to offer. I would venture a guess your wife is severely untrained. I don't see any harm in listening to the doctor and having her run a course of physical therapy. The important thing is she gets better over time (not worse).

If she runs a course of PT, she may be more receptive (and able) to start barbell movements. The key is to make her think that squatting and deadlifting is her idea, not yours. You can help your wife but most likely not a good idea to train her, and when dealing with wifes/kids your opinion carries less weight than an outside persons (in most matters) because of the inherent dominance struggle in every close relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    I've never heard of a physical therapist that followed the starting strength model, but that doesn't mean they have nothing to offer. I would venture a guess your wife is severely untrained. I don't see any harm in listening to the doctor and having her run a course of physical therapy. The important thing is she gets better over time (not worse).
    There are a few PTs that use our methods -- maybe 15 of them. Having her run a course of Conventional Outpatient Physical Therapy is a waste of time and money, because her back is going to stop hurting whether she does this or not. And everybody that goes to COPT gets a "weak core" diagnosis. Everybody. Buddy of mine went to one with a back tweak recently (primarily because the PT was hawt) and she told him this weak-core shit. He explained that at 66 he's a 325 deadlifter. She said, "Well, still..." So if you have the money and she's hawt, go ahead and waste the time and money.

Ya, I agree it is a waste of time and money, but would rather have peace in the house. She does not have a strong "core". She would even admit that. She has seen me go from not sleeping well at night because of a bad back to having almost zero issues, so their is that.

Its an interesting predicament I am in... I figured I I could at least send her some reading, she could make up her own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post

If she runs a course of PT, she may be more receptive (and able) to start barbell movements. The key is to make her think that squatting and deadlifting is her idea, not yours. You can help your wife but most likely not a good idea to train her, and when dealing with wifes/kids your opinion carries less weight than an outside persons (in most matters) because of the inherent dominance struggle in every close relationship.
    I’m not a physical therapist, but I’ve found that the NLP does a wonderful job on back rehab.

I train at a corporate gym and if I have availability (which is rare nowadays) they try and send me everyone with back pain. I primarily use the squat, deadlift and press methodology that professor Rip has laid out in the blue book to treat back pain. Most of the time these 3 movements, done correctly, are all that one needs to fix a bad back.

I had my own experience with back pain and surgery and it was an ongoing problem until I got stronger, thanks to aforementioned methods.

Many of my clientele want to continue to train after their back is fixed and the unfortunate side of that is limited exposure to the number of people I can treat; however, I can say with a high degree of confidence that a SSC will work better for your wife then the traditional approach to physical therapy.

starting strength coach development program
    Totally agree with Mark. I went to one one time for an undiagnosed shoulder injury. I felt it happen when it happened. After quite a few weeks of it not getting better I went to a PT. She put me through some bullshit mobility stuff and her diagnosis was I need to do more pulldown and rowing movements. At the time I was doing enough of those things for three people so I knew that wasn't the problem. I never went back.