starting strength gym

Thread: IMPOSSIBLE! Charles gained 10 lbs and lost 4% bodyfat training at SS Dallas

Default IMPOSSIBLE! Charles gained 10 lbs and lost 4% bodyfat training at SS Dallas

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Coach Brent Carter and Starting Strength Dallas member Charles discuss the results of his recent DEXA scan and his progress while training at Starting Strength Dallas.

Where's Zach? Zach proved this a while ago. Where's Lyle? Why is this still a surprise? SS works. If you get fat its because you eat doughnuts and pizza. If you don't get strong its because YNDTP.

Cool video. I mostly come here for inspiration at this point, so it's nice to have content like this as opposed to some of the super-technical or abstract stuff.

I thought it was odd though when the coach said, roughly, "the haters said it couldn't be done," in reference to losing fat while gaining muscle. I'm pretty sure I have heard Rip and other authorities on this site saying that losing fat while gaining muscle is nigh-impossible except for obese trainees. All that stuff about how you are either in an anabolic or a catabolic state, and if you are in an anabolic state everything is growing, fat and muscle both. That's not "the haters," that's SS's own philosophy, I thought. This trainee was neither obese nor completely untrained when he started.

Finally, why did his deadlift only go from 175 to 335 while his squat went from 135 to 335? Normally the deadlift improves faster than the squat, no slower. Just curious.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    Cool video. I mostly come here for inspiration at this point, so it's nice to have content like this as opposed to some of the super-technical or abstract stuff.
    Thanks for the props!

I thought it was odd though when the coach said, roughly, "the haters said it couldn't be done," in reference to losing fat while gaining muscle. I'm pretty sure I have heard Rip and other authorities on this site saying that losing fat while gaining muscle is nigh-impossible except for obese trainees. All that stuff about how you are either in an anabolic or a catabolic state, and if you are in an anabolic state everything is growing, fat and muscle both. That's not "the haters," that's SS's own philosophy, I thought. This trainee was neither obese nor completely untrained when he started.
    Very true for a trained lifter, not so much for a novice. While Charles was not a rank novice, he was a gym bro and his training prior was not really training at all as evidence by his 135 squat and 175 deadlift. See recent article by Santana: Strength Training is Not “Fat Loss” Training. And Neither is Aerobics | Robert Santana

Finally, why did his deadlift only go from 175 to 335 while his squat went from 135 to 335? Normally the deadlift improves faster than the squat, no slower. Just curious.
    The 335 squat was for a 1RM while he was preparing for the "Stronger Together" competition. The 335 DL was for triples. He could obviously pull more than that if we wanted to test his 1RM. He has also had some issues with setting his back that took a couple resets.