starting strength gym

Thread: Article on Boyd Epley: "The Strength of Nebraska"

Default Article on Boyd Epley: "The Strength of Nebraska"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I stumbled across this article the other day, thought it might be of some interest here. Basically outlines the start of the strength and conditioning coaching profession. Epley understood how strength would help in all aspects of sports and was able to apply that understanding to the Nebraska football team, making them the powerhouse they were in the 1970's. Oddly though, judging from Figure 2 in the article, he didn't know how to apply deadlifts to build traps. :-)

“The Strength of Nebraska”: Boyd Epley, Husker Power, and the Formation of the Strength Coaching Profession

As far as I am concerned, Boyd Epley formalized the profession. We owe him a huge debt.

Great article! I forwarded it on to my folks, who were from Nebraska, and naturally bleed Husker red. "Are you the guy who's been showing these guys how to lift weights?" Love it.

Anyone else find it interesting how multiple times in the article they state the belief that athleticism can be developed? As opposed to many of the traits we see as "athleticism" being mostly genetic and a small portion that can be developed by training and practice?

this part cracked me up:

"According to Epley, Osborne took the list from him, gave it only the most cursory glance and handed it to the football secretary, instructing her to “order this.” Epley later claimed that that moment opened his eyes to the power of football on campus, and so he shrewdly said, “Coach! I forgot the second page,” feigning distress. Epley recalls that Osborne then gave him a wry smile and said, “Alright, bring me the second page tomorrow”