starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you politely get rid of people giving bad advice?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I need to get some of those cards printed. That is a glorious image. You do that up yourself or find it somewhere?
    any meme generator will do it

i wish they had that bus scene with one more frame, when she flips the card over:

"(˅ over ˅)"

*turns card over*

"I'm systematically loading the organism (myself) as an entire unit, instead of focusing on just 'legs' or 'quads'.
    ~Please return this card so I can reuse~ "

When the situation happens to me, my canned response is "that's interesting, can you show me?" It usually gets the person sputtering excuses pretty quickly. The other common thing I hear from the 20 something quarter squat gang is that I'll tear my knees up. I reply that my knees used to hurt so I went to see the local hot shit ortho who told me I was just getting old and to take it easy (I was 39 at the time). I have 3 young kids to keep up with and was determined to find a way to keep up with them for the foreseeable future. I started squatting and my knees and back have never felt better.

Quote Originally Posted by danomite!1764239
    "that's interesting, can you show me?".
    I used that once. It was to crossfit couple that looked as if they were trolling for clients. They quickly made some vague excuse and left me alone.

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    "that's interesting, can you show me?"
    I fear if I went that route my squat session would've been interrupted by a full lesson in how to high-bar partial squat.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I've been at this since June. It was a medium day squat load (and I've been losing weight) so it was only 220, but still, it was enough to get hurt under if I fucked something up. It's also still more than I see anyone squatting at this gym, especially below parallel (just about everyone who even squats there does high bar partial squats). My confidence is decidedly not shaken, I just wanted to get rid of the guy fast without it turning into a shouting match (and thus risking getting thrown out of my gym). He seemed to lift the way most people there who are just fucking around lift. He was doing tricep pushdowns for god knows how many sets, changing the angles he was doing them at in weird ways with partial RoM. The main difference between him and most "fucking around" types was that he had very big muscles and low bodyfat. Must be he has superior form, right? Either way, I can probably squat more than him if it were actually judged for depth.
    It sounds to me like that guy just sux all around. Sometimes you meet people like that.

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    When the situation happens to me, my canned response is "that's interesting, can you show me?" It usually gets the person sputtering excuses pretty quickly.
    That's a good one. I'll have to try that sometime.

The other common thing I hear from the 20 something quarter squat gang is that I'll tear my knees up. I reply that my knees used to hurt so I went to see the local hot shit ortho who told me I was just getting old and to take it easy (I was 39 at the time). I have 3 young kids to keep up with and was determined to find a way to keep up with them for the foreseeable future. I started squatting and my knees and back have never felt better.
    Regarding "bad for the knees" ... I'll interrupt them with, "I've heard from 3 different doctors that squatting 'deep' is NOT bad for your knees now, and a doctor actually told me to squat to strengthen my knees. Its like the eggs-are-bad-for-you-thing from the 90's thats been now reversed".
    . Then shrug my shoulders

I asked several staff members (also called coaches or trainers) of my gym if they squat low bar or high bar. None of them ever heard of it.

When I start to explain the change of back angle due to differing bar positions they look at me like I‘m talking about cannibalism, quantum physics or my latest alien abduction.

It’s great.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even squat at all. Too scary, do leg press instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Power View Post
    In all seriousness I've dealt with this a ton. Usually people tell me I'm lifting "too much weight".
    sure, if you say so

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    I asked several staff members (also called coaches or trainers) of my gym if they squat low bar or high bar. None of them ever heard of it.

When I start to explain the change of back angle due to differing bar positions they look at me like I‘m talking about cannibalism, quantum physics or my latest alien abduction.

It’s great.
    It's like the 'trainer' at my gym who was fascinated by this thing I was doing to hold onto the bar while deadlifting. I told him it was called a 'hook grip'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast