starting strength gym

Thread: Strength Makes Life Better | Nate Moe

Default Strength Makes Life Better | Nate Moe

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "Over the last few years, I have seen many examples of how important strength training is for all people as we age. Strength training can help fight diabetes, muscle and bone loss, depression, and more importantly, it can preserve function and independence."

Read article

Great piece. Go Mom!

Nate - How do I contact you?

I want to help my mom with a similar approach. She is 73. I'd like to talk with you and come up with a strategy.

Jon

Thank you, I am very proud of her! She is loving life and is watching our Children when we go on vacation. Something she would not have been able to handle a few years ago!

Jon,

I would be happy to speak with you. You may look on gojacks.com for my email address. However, you cannot want it for them. Your mom will need to want a change. Then you can be in the position to help, support and guide her in the proper direction.

I look forward to hearing from you

It has been my honor to assist my mother in her quest for strength. It has brought us even closer. I would love to hear from others on their stories

Inspiring article, Nate!

I started coaching my dad in my garage gym a week after he retired last October. My dad's a smoker and other than working a physically demanding job for many years (factory shift work) I wouldn't consider him physically active. In the last few years, I've noticed my dad losing a lot of muscle mass. To him, being skinny meant you were healthy. Even with his flawed definition of health, my dad didn't need much convincing on the fact that he needed to get strong.

I started conservatively and progressed the main lifts from his starting point to where we can load the movements with the barbell. In the beginning we did bodyweight squats to a bench, used dumbells for the press (seated), and used wooden plates I cut out from particle board for the deadlift (to pull from the floor).

His program is pretty simple but effective as he's seen great progress. He comes over to train twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays after I get home from work. I'm happy to report that he's now squatting 135 for 3 sets of 3 (he can't comfortably get in the low-bar position, so he does high-bar just below parallel), He benches 100 for 3 sets of 5 and last week he deadlifted 225 for 5. Not too shabby for 67!

I'm working on getting him to quit smoking, but all in all I'm super proud of my dad. His determination and will to train is pretty inspiring. He can be stubborn sometimes about not wanting to deload when he's shoveled a bunch of snow leading up to training. He doesn't want to let me or himself down. He notices a difference in how he feels and looks in the mirror. He cannot wait to take the strength he's acquired "for a spin" out on the golf course. My parents are divorced but when my mom ran into him at a gas station the other day, she noticed he was standing a little taller. She retires in a few weeks and I can't wait to get her under the bar!