starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Corona outbreak -> Gym closed down, need workout recommendations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seaman View Post
    I didn't find a link, but Andy Baker just put up a 54 minute youtube video on the topic of things you can do if you don't have access to barbells for a period of time. I hope this link works, but I think if you search for andy baker on you tube it pops up. YouTube
    Thanks very much for this - You, Rip, and Andy just saved me.

Andy's video is pretty good. Will you lose absolute strength? Yes, of course. But what he's recommending will do a lot to keep form losing too much mass and keeping work capacity high. Having just done a 3-week layoff prior to this all exploding, and not having done much at all during that period, I can say that work capacity was the biggest loss. First day back I worked up to conservatively heavy singles, and while I didn't push to hit prior PRs I was close on most lifts (actually my press single was the same as my previous PR for singles across). But doing in subsequent days, doing multiple sets even at lower weights was pretty tough. Anyway. Point being, it's a decent workout and will provide decent conditioning if nothing else.

I bought a barbell and some weights to train behind my apartment building as much as I can. There are some delays in shipping with covid19 and all that. I don't have a rack, a substitute for a rack, or any place to store a rack, so that really messes things up as I can't back squat. I also can't bench press but that's much less concerning since bench is, I think rip says in SS, the least important of the movements, whereas squat is the most important. My basic plan so far is:

A
    Deadlift 1x5
    Press (clean into position) 3x5
    Front squat (clean into position) 3x5

B
    Power clean 5x3
    Press 3x5
    Front squat 3x5

I figured it made sense to move the floor pull to be first movement as that's what I think I should be prioritizing during this period, and then front squats at the end just to try to make some progress with quads. I also will continue to do chin-ups 2x per week. Does this seem reasonable? Are there other things I should add? I know obviously this has gaps, but I really have nowhere I can put a rack, and I think it's inevitable there will be gaps without a rack.

Weather has gotten warm, so I'll be doing more hiking. And instead of finding a way to train without the barbell, I thought I'd spend some of the time I would have been at the gym, doing that which needs doing around the house and garden. Who know, I might even finish painting the house :-)

Found some semi-useful exercises last night:
    Pushups series, starting with bodyweight and varying hand width. Then added 100lb 9-year old to back. Finally, back-off sets with 33lb 3-year old on back.
    Paused front squats with squirmy 33lb 3-year old
    "Rows" using bunkbed frame, bodyweight and with squirmy 3-year old
    Stiff legged good mornings with 3 year old

I am thinking about using this time to cut: work on conditioning and lose some belly fat (I seem to gain all my fat as visceral fat in my abdomen and it bugs me). I have not really cut before. I am not sure if this is a good time to do it, because I won't be able to lift heavy to maintain strength.

I can easily do uphill sprints, pushups, and find a place to do chins. I could get set up to do kettlebell swings as well. My question is, is it a good idea to attempt a cut, or should I just work on conditioning and worry about cutting when I have access to barbell and rack again?

I mean I think this would be as ideal a time as any.

Just make sure you're not in such a large caloric deficit that you're creating a combo effect of muscle loss due to work capacity and major caloric restrictions.

I'm not a nutritionist, just someone who reads/watches a lot of content, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Just not too big a grain now that you're trying to lose fat, you know. (I'm sorry, that was stupid but couldn't resist.)

Quote Originally Posted by Philip DiDomenico View Post
    Thanks very much for this - You, Rip, and Andy just saved me.
    Just curious, what did Rip do other than tell you’re f’ed and go off on his political tangents ?

I’ve been working with what I have which is 2 kettlebells, 30# and 50#, and a jump rope. I have a pull-up bar arriving on Tuesday which I will mount on one of the joists in this space. I’ve been doing goblet squats, KB snatches, KB presses, KB swings, pushups, single leg KB deadlifts and jumping rope. While I do a fair amount of backcountry splitboarding (a snowboard that splits in half to use as skis for skinning uphill) in the spring, I have not been forced into it in a purist form before. Due to ski area closures, any riding I do will be “earn your turns” scenarios. As a result, I’m just focusing on skinning conditioning and snowboarding as much as possible and view the KB/bodyweight work as conditioning. So maybe I’ll just get in the best conditioning shape I’ve been in several years. So far, I have no intent of taking any pure rest days either. I mean, What else do I have to do physically these circumstances? I’m just going to make the most of it and Enjoy that as much as I can. Doing nothing is not an option.

starting strength coach development program
    Same boat. Anyone have suggestions for improvement or is this the best that can be done considering the circumstances?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast