starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Corona outbreak -> Gym closed down, need workout recommendations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Get a backpack or something and put something heavy in it and do weighted chins and dips. They're two great exercises. Do a lot of them. You don't always have to use weight, bodyweight for reps is good sometimes. I see too many people on here that are horrendously bad at chins. Now is a good time to get good at them.

I don't know how much strength is normal to lose on a layoff. But after 10 years not touching a barbell I only lost 20%. What I'm concerned about is stopping my LP while I'm progressing so fast. I'm only 2 months into starting strength and I'd really like to complete my LP before I change up my routine.

I watched Andy Baker's video and I just have no interest in training with high reps or isolation movements. I need intensity if I'm going to enjoy the workout and get anything out of it. I'm considering doing explosive movements such as clap pull ups, clap dips, standing backflips, 100 yard sprints. Add to that some static holds such as planches, levers, and lock offs. I could also use added weight for chin ups, push ups, and dips. And to round it all off, and since I live on the beach, I'll look for some stones or make sandbags for lapping, loading, pressing and throwing. Unilateral weighted squats might be useful as well. Muscle ups on rings probably wouldn't hurt either. I have no idea how to program any of this so I guess I'll just play it by ear. I have bands and various thick grips and handles for arm wrestling, though I'd rather stick to compound movements with high ROM than focus on arm wrestling movements. I'm currently 20% body fat so I assume after a couple weeks training like this, I'll have that six pack that I never wanted.

idea for progressive resistance training: get a wheelbarrow. remove the legs and put on some short wooden blocks. Add load (paving stones, bricks, dumbbells, make some weights out of plaster of paris or cement and various containers). Use for squat/deadlift type exercise. and walk it around the block for conditioning. I suppose if you set in in a corner to stabilize it during the lifting it would work better. added bonus: all materials can be found at hardware store, still legally open in this apocalypse.

I'm trying to figure out how to secure bike intertubes to the ground, then a piece of rebar can be used as the bar; might work for a resisted squat type movement.

and yes, i am a physical therapist without gym access going crazy without barbells

starting strength coach development program
    I myself have some limited equipment at home. I'm mainly training to fuck around and experiment now, and more than anything for the psychological component of continuing to exercise and not letting the habit fade away. I feel that more than anything is the most important thing to hold onto while I'm out of the gym. If I lose the habit I've held onto since last year, I worry I might slide into just not lifting anymore.

So since I don't have the equipment to do anything really heavy (I can only load a deadlift up to 300 pounds or so), I'm trying this volume intensive high frequency program credited to Arnold Schwarzenegger. I'm not terribly optimistic about results, but even if I can try this and go "okay, that didn't work at all", it's data I know I can 100% trust on what works and what doesn't. So far, it's succeeded in making me very, very sore.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456