39 Male
    6'1" (when hanging upside down)
    185 lbs

BS - 255 lb x 5 (soft max)
    SP - 140 lb x 5 (hard max)
    BP - 200 lb x 5 (hard max)
    DL - 370 lb x 5 (soft 90%)
    PC - 210 lbs x 3 (working set)

I've been lifting regularly for a little over 6 years and was originally taught how to lift weights by a CrossFit coach. He taught me mostly good habits, but since I've always trained in more of a CrossFit style I've seen a plateau on my main lifts for the past few years. Finally last year I got a herniated disc and I cut out the running and the metcons, got with a physical therapist and really started focusing on my strength training. I had worked programs similar to the starting strength format for some time and so thought maybe it was time to try the TM. I purchased 'Starting Strength" (just finished the first section on squats) and have been making a few corrections to my form. For the most part my original trainer did a pretty good job! There are some things I've changed as I am trying to follow Rip's recommendations as best I can. I am starting to push past my current limits for the first time in years as I enter my 6th week and I have questions. I'd be grateful for anyone's feedback:

-I hit my first failures last week and the week before during day 3 (failed the 5th rep of BP @ 205 lbs and the 4th rep of SP @ 145 lbs respectively). For the next day 3 I'm uncertain as to what I should do next. Attempt the same weight again, drop down to my last good max, or drop down below that and work up from there? I've got safety straps, bumper plates and rubber flooring and I've been properly trained on how to bail.

-the pull from the floor on my DL is no problem, but as I think it is the case with everyone my back is starting to round as I've been gradually adding weight from week to week. My 370 looked pretty good but the 5th rep my back was rounding a little. I know I can lift a lot more, but at some point I am going to start looking like a fishing pole with a hooked whale on the end, but I'm not there yet. If that is my limiting factor on the DL, at what point do I need to stop adding weight? Also, what exercises can I do to help with keeping a straight back and locked shoulders? Prior to starting the TM I was regularly doing barbell rows from the floor. I think that was helping. Should I add that in?

-I work out from home and I have a full squat rack with safety straps, but no GHD machine. Are there any alternatives you might suggest for day 2's back extension exercise?

-I sort of miss the metcons and cardio. It would be great if I could do some of that still, but I don't want it to negatively impact my weight training. Do i just need to accept that fact that I am better off waiting until I finish out the TM? I was thinking about maybe sticking to riding my bike or doing short, 2 mile runs on my off days (usually I would do 4 miles after strength training). If it's going to impact my training though I would rather abstain.

-My appetite hasn't been very great without the cardio. It's hard for me to get my calories and I have to rely on a lot of protein shakes. Any suggestions?

...I have like a zillion questions but I don't want this post to turn into a novel. Thank you again for those of you who take the time to read my post and answer my questions!

You are a novice. Do the novice program.

Yes sir. Should I start with Phase 1? Is it ok to use the weight of my working sets from the current program or should I start lower?

Read the book. Tells you this.

Oh dear. Yes actually you lay it all out pretty clearly in the last chapter. My apologies...party foul. Thank you sir for responding! Looking forward to finishing the book and working the novice program.