starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Testosterone check results

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys,

These are my recent blood test results. I'm 58.

Total Testosterone 758 ng/dL
    (Standard Range 300-890)

Free Testosterone 63 pg/mL
    (Standard Range 47-244)

Should I be concerned about my free testosterone being on the low end? I can't get a straight answer from the internet.

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by Philip DiDomenico View Post
    Should I be concerned about my free testosterone being on the low end? I can't get a straight answer from the internet.

Thanks very much
    You know this is still the internet, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gbraddock View Post
    My dose is 140mg week. Any more than that and my hemoglobin and hematocrit get too high (blood gets too thick). Think of your heart trying to pump thick and viscous blood. Not good. Give blood regularly to offset little spikes here and there. Also helps others who may need donations. No need to report you take Testosterone because it is not on the medication deferral list and you are under doctor care.

Also, I would start with a simple dose of test and maybe HCG having done this before and knowing many people who have. Some don’t EVER need estrogen blockers while others do. Heck I know plenty of folks that are good to go on test shots alone. Dosing frequency seems to be best at once per week for most (5-7 day half life). Testosterone cypionate is the form I’m most familiar with in my neck of the woods

Overall, remember this...YOU are your own advocate! Many Docs are happy to tell you to avoid TRT or just take an antidepressant. Fire em in you need to, but get yourself some help!

Hope it helps.
    Thanks, right now the first step is to get a GP it looks like. At the moment I don't really see any regularly. So I'll probably have to do an initial consult/physical. I'll bring up the test I got done and talk with the doc about follow up testing (to do more specific tests to this problem like free test, luteinizing hormone, etc) see what's what or even if the low number was some kind of fluke. Honestly I'm still kind of hoping a second test will show the first to be a fluke or something, I don't want to deal with more medicines and more side effects unless there's no other way. I just want to be a healthy fucking human male already.

Kinda dredging this up, but I figured I'd tack this on instead of making a new thread. I finally got results from some tests that included a more comprehensive testosterone test yesterday. Total testosterone was 271 ng/dL, free was 51.8 pg/mL. From what I've been able to gather online, this actually makes it rather high as a percentage of the total. Wish I could've discussed this with the doctor, but he just kinda steamrolled that topic and proceeded to try to sell me on taking statins for cholesterol levels, after which I just kinda tuned out of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip DiDomenico View Post
    Hi guys,

These are my recent blood test results. I'm 58.

Total Testosterone 758 ng/dL
    (Standard Range 300-890)

Free Testosterone 63 pg/mL
    (Standard Range 47-244)

Thanks very much
    The results are confusing because those numbers are usually related...your testosterone level is primo for your age...but as one goes up so does the other...and then your free is low ...every testosterone test I ever had they were pretty much in the same level range wise...do you take something that binds your testosterone?

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    So, I finally got the results of a blood test I took months ago at this point. Testosterone turned up 286 ng/dL, the given "reference range" is 249-836. Should I be looking into getting some therapy for this? I have wondered why I struggle so much with putting on muscle, and now I feel maybe this is a culprit. The particular test name was "Testerone, total".
    I'm almost 38. I went in January to get checked. My numbers were pretty close to yours. My doc said she wouldn't give me TRT. I went to a men's clinic and talked with the nurse in there for about an hour. I left with my first shot. I'm about 4 months in now and hope I never get off of it. I knew by the end of the first few weeks that something was getting better.

Number one thing I've noticed: A ton of my nagging injuries and weird aches and pains have vanished completely. I also recover like someone in their 30's - not like their 90's (which is how I felt before).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Number one thing I've noticed: A ton of my nagging injuries and weird aches and pains have vanished completely. I also recover like someone in their 30's - not like their 90's (which is how I felt before).
    Yeah, I have noticed recovery issues even when I was eating big and gaining weight. It's like the weights that were demanding longer recovery were MUCH lower than they would be for an average person my age. But doctors generally don't care about your lifting problems because they don't even know how lifting is supposed to go a lot of the time. I'm probably gonna see an endocrinologist about the testosterone since the PCP seems to just suck.

I have pretty good test numbers...but I tried it anyway because they weren't in the highest part of the range....the second week I felt great maybe the best I ever felt....than about week 6 my sex drive left me completely and I thought it was just a phase but it lasted....I also got my PSA tested and it was high...but the doc said it wasnt crazy high and the doc just said to retest in 6 weeks...but one day around week 10 I looked down and had NO balls...none..a shriveled sac ....this coupled with no sex drive ....that was the end of my TRT phase...and thats been about 5 years ago

You're probably not representative, MS.

starting strength coach development program
    If I get it treated I'd like to take a try at clomiphene citrate first anyway. But really I wanna talk with someone who specializes in this stuff and we can take a look at as many possible causes of the deficiency as we can. I think there is definitely some weird stuff going on though. I've had a patch of chest hair in the center just spring up in this very year. I'm 35 goddamn years old. That strikes me as just a bit odd.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast