starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on Testosterone check results

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    FWIW
    67 year old here, on TRT for the past 6 years. I loved it, felt great, got strong easily, recovered quickly. Two years ago I had a DVT. Luckily it was not life threatening. My doctor (phlebotomist) put me on Eliquis, 5mg 2x daily. He urged me to quit TRT, but I refused. He said ok, but you'll need regular phlebotomies (draw a pint of blood and throw it away due to the presence of Eliquis), in order to keep hematocrit at a safe enough level to prevent another DVT.

I did that for the past two years. While on TRT, my hematocrit stays between 50-55, a dangerous level. I was injecting 100mg cypionate weekly, at first. In attempt to compromise, I dropped to 70. This had no corresponding effect on hematocrit levels. Doc said the mere presence of exogenous testosterone is enough tho stimulate red blood cell production, and consequently hematocrit.

Well, I recently went off testosterone completely. Damned if my hematocrit didn't drop from 55 to 51 to 48 over a 4 week period. I really didn't want a correlation!

I started TRT because of a total T of 225 or so. Don't know how low it is now, but I'm certain it's lower than 225, partly because I've aged, mostly based on feel. I ache a lot, think about retiring, and get mildly interested in sex every 2 weeks or so. I've "mellowed"! Deadlift went from 385 to 345, others follow same proportionate decline.

Mostly I'm just relating my story for anyone that's interested. If anybody knows how to maintain low hematocrit while on TRT I'd love to hear!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainstream View Post
    The results are confusing because those numbers are usually related...your testosterone level is primo for your age...but as one goes up so does the other...and then your free is low ...every testosterone test I ever had they were pretty much in the same level range wise...do you take something that binds your testosterone?
    Thanks for the response

I don't know what I may be taking that could be binding with my testosterone. I'll look into it

Thanks a lot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123