starting strength gym

Thread: Cheap way to build over a dirt floor?

Default Cheap way to build over a dirt floor?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m looking for some insight on effective, cheap methods of building a gym floor in a shed that currently has dry, elevated gravel/dirt for a floor.

I was thinking of buying three 16’ 6x6s, leveling them with mason sand, filling in the gaps with sand and then putting plywood over them. Maybe a layer of typar or some sort of moisture barrier between the dirt and the plywood?

Anyone have experience with this?

Dirt settles away from lumbar. You need to pour some concrete.

Roger that. Whats the minimum thickness i could get away with for weightlifting?

Brick pavers work well, just make sure to do it right and they won’t settle. Rent a good tamper, or you could pour a slab, but pavers would be easier and less of a mess

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Roger that. Whats the minimum thickness i could get away with for weightlifting?
    3 layers of 3/4" work pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    Brick pavers work well, just make sure to do it right and they won’t settle. Rent a good tamper, or you could pour a slab, but pavers would be easier and less of a mess
    This looks expensive. 500-600 a pallet. I need to fill maybe 180sq feet.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Not sure what the situation is where you are, I’m a mason contractor and at my yard the pavers run $1/sqft. You can split up pallets too. Just to give you an idea if you’re pouring concrete, that would be about 100 bags of 80lb premix concrete for 180sqft for a four inch slab. If you get the sand, Portland, and stone yourself you might save a few bucks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    Not sure what the situation is where you are, I’m a mason contractor and at my yard the pavers run $1/sqft. You can split up pallets too. Just to give you an idea if you’re pouring concrete, that would be about 100 bags of 80lb premix concrete for 180sqft for a four inch slab. If you get the sand, Portland, and stone yourself you might save a few bucks though.
    good info, thanks again!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks again gentlemen.

I used a combination of cement and bricks to set a pretty solid foundation, nice and level.

Filled up the space between and outside the 6x6 beams with any big rocks i could find and about 3000lbs of gravel.

Laid down 3/4 plywood lengthwise and another layer crossed on top. Added a platform from stall mats and a nice sanded maple 4x8.

Just installed an ac unit and working on insulation panels.

This thing is pretty fucking solid — I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

Could upload pics if anyone’s interested in looking!