starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corona Training: Dumbbell & Bodyweight at Home Gym Routine (Video)

Default Corona Training: Dumbbell & Bodyweight at Home Gym Routine (Video)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here's a video with some ideas for at home training with just body weight, dumbbells, and maybe some bands.

YouTube

Good luck guys,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Here's a video with some ideas for at home training with just body weight, dumbbells, and maybe some bands.
    YouTube
    Good luck guys,
    Andy
    Watched it, took notes, ordered dumbells. Thank you very much for taking the time to make this video. The workout looks awesome and I can't wait to get started. It's what's going to keep me sane until the gym opens back up. THANK YOU

Thank you so much for this. A video like this means a lot coming from you. A lot of fitness content creators seem to have jumped on the bodyweight bandwagon within the past week, so it's good to get something like this from a trusted source.

Also, question for Andy or anyone else with some insight:

I may have missed this in the video, but is there any way to calculate what a good set of dumbbells would he, weight wise, depending on your current barbell training level? Say if I could only get one set of them, would it be better to just get 40lbs over say 20lbs if my bench is 240lbs for 5 and OHP 135lbs for 5, as the heavier dumbbells can at least provide more initial resistance? Or does it not really matter, and it makes more sense to adjust the workout around whatever you get?

Thanks again.

Just get as many sets as you can in 10 lb increments. Maybe pairs of 40s, 30s, and 20s if possible and then add weights if you can. If you can only afford one pair just get something in the middle ground I guess. I don't know....fuck around with them in the store and see how hard they are for stuff like OHP, rows, rdls, etc.

Thanks Andy.

I'm trying to be a bit more economical with my purchases, only as I don't know what the economy will bring in a month, let alone a year, but I appreciate the advice nonetheless on this.

I will definitely give a range of dumbbells a try out in the store before purchasing a pair.

I miss barbell training already, but this is as good of an alternative as I'm going to get, so thank you again.

Managed to pick up a set of 25lb dumbbells, as that was the heaviest I could find.

Will either be doing my first day today or tomorrow, and will update with another post on how it went!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    YouTube
    Good luck guys, Andy
    Andy, any rest between supersets/circuits?

For example:

Squats x 20, then immediately
    Rows x 20, then immediately
    Push-Ups x 20, then

(Rest?)

Pull-Thrus x 20, then immediately
    Lying Tri Exts x 20, then

(Rest?)

Squats x 20, etc

Thanks

First workout day went well yesterday.

Probably the biggest adjustment was doing the squats. Felt like they were going to be a breeze, given I last squatted 350lbs for 5 reps of 3 sets, but going back to a more front/high bar squat type of form was a challenge, especially barefoot in the house, even just with 25lbs dumbbells.

Also had to do the triceps extensions on the ground, but I felt like they still went pretty well.

Still trying to get the pull throughs down,but the analogy to a kettlebell swing definitely helps with keeping a correct form in mind.

Thanks again Andy. I'm glad we have something we can do until the future of going to a public gym is clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip DiDomenico View Post
    Andy, any rest between supersets/circuits?

For example:

Squats x 20, then immediately
    Rows x 20, then immediately
    Push-Ups x 20, then

(Rest?)

Pull-Thrus x 20, then immediately
    Lying Tri Exts x 20, then

(Rest?)

Squats x 20, etc

Thanks
    I think it's best to just try it out, time out your rests and adjust. For me, the first three sets was about a minute or so, and then last two were about 90 seconds or two minutes.

Since we're not doing a strength building program, maybe adjusting rest times could be something we could adjust like the amount of reps and sets?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by moreplatesplease View Post
    I think it's best to just try it out, time out your rests and adjust. For me, the first three sets was about a minute or so, and then last two were about 90 seconds or two minutes.
    Since we're not doing a strength building program, maybe adjusting rest times could be something we could adjust like the amount of reps and sets?
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I guess I'll test things out tomorrow and see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast