starting strength gym

Thread: The Cancer Industry with John Horgan | Starting Strength Radio #48

Default The Cancer Industry with John Horgan | Starting Strength Radio #48

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark Rippetoe and John Horgan, director of the Center for Science Writings at the Stevens Institute of Technology, discuss smoking, cancer medicine, and the high cost with marginal benefit of testing and treating some cancers.

Transcript & Episode Resources

Thanks, Rip, for having John Horgan on the show. Who would have thought that I'd see someone for whom I have great respect as a philosopher on Starting Strength Radio?

The discussion was informative and thought-provoking... and unsettling. Although, I'm not surprised, since I never expect any companies, institutions, or governments to act in any way other than in their own short-term self-interest. Nor do I ever expect anything other than vicious competition amongst them resulting in the winners taking all. I daily lament the loss and misery arising therefrom. The really hard problem, though, is that the only people with the power to change things are those benefitting from the system as it is. And it's hard to form a sixth column.

Which is why I appreciate your off-topic shows so much: I believe that they (along with the regular shows, from a different approach) are actually changing the world for the better, a little bit at a time, from right there in Wichita Falls.

I just read Horgan's book, "Mind-Body Problems: Science, Subjectivity & Who We Really Are" (which I highly recommend, along with all of his other writing). May I suggest that you invite John back to discuss some of his philosophical work about free agency and self-realization? It would be a great way to get us all to "think instead of obey" all the "authorities". It also would in general promote Eudaemonism, of which, I'm sure, you are a big fan.

I mean, it's not like we have a whole bunch of other things to do these days, with everything on pause and lock down and whatnot.