starting strength gym

Thread: Becoming Intermediate

Default Becoming Intermediate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all. This is my first post. I love all the videos, podcasts, and Practical Programming. I believe I'm coming to the end of the novice linear progression and trying to figure out what to do next. I feel torn between moving on to an intermediate program such as the Texas Method, or just trying to maintain what I've gained while focusing on losing belly fat. Here are my numbers (in my less-than-perfect basement gym situation).

Age 36 Dad bod
    6' 4" 240 lbs (up from 225 when I started adding weight to the bar a few months ago)
    251 LB Bench Press, and definitely stuck at that weight
    307 LB Deadlift, progress very limited by my weak grip
    283 LB Trap bar squat (I know, I know) and I think the only thing still progressing
    75 LB DB's military press, my substitute for overhead press
    No sport-specific training, just want to keep getting strong

My basic question is, if I want to lose some fat, is it futile to think about adjusting to an intermediate program? If I go to an intermediate program, am I conceding being fat for a while longer? Is it a pipe dream to try to accomplish both of these things at the same time--and if so, what is the most advantageous path to take FIRST? Is there some type of reset that allows me to accomplish both aspects at the same time? Thanks for whatever feedback you all have.

What happen to regular bar squat and press ?

Your deadlift and squat are nowhere near intermediate.

Keep geting stronger. I would suggest that you should not be even thinking about any kind of diet for next 2-3 years

Just keep on lifting heavy and be reasonable about how much and what you eat.

Losing body fat requires a defecit in calories and a strength reduction. You will lose some muscle mass even if you do everything perfect and weight on the bar will fall.

You aren't doing the program and you haven't reached the end of novice gains. If your aim is to lose weight, then do that, but it will essentially put you back to square one and you will then be back to NLP and having to eat more to sustain recovery/gains. Unfortunately there is no easy solution to weight loss vs strength gain, one is antagonistic to the other. If you have no health issues beyond a bit of flab ( high BP, diabetes, heart/lung/organ issues), then I would carry on until maxing out, then look at cutting.

May I suggest you read this. It may help. Essentially, you aren't over fat, you're under muscled.

Read article

No link

starting strength coach development program
    Oh for fucks sake. Apologies. It's Santana's article strength training isnt for weight loss. And neither is aerobics.