starting strength gym

Thread: Car Pushing for Conditioning

Default Car Pushing for Conditioning

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It has been recommended that pushing a sled can aid in conditioning as an adjunct to heavy lifting in that there is no eccentric part to pushing the sled to interfere with recovery.

In these troubled times when a sled is not available, can pushing a car a la Dr. Ken Leistner be a substitute?

It's always been okay. Not just in these trying times.

I did this in the summer of 2012 with an SUV in neutral and my roommate in the driver's seat. We took turns. It worked pretty well. In these trying times, it will work as well.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

idea for progressive resistance training: get a wheelbarrow. remove the legs and put on some short wooden blocks. Add load (paving stones, bricks, dumbbells, make some weights out of plaster of paris or cement and various containers). Use for squat/deadlift type exercise. and walk it around the block for conditioning. I suppose if you set in in a corner to stabilize it during the lifting it would work better. added bonus: all materials can be found at hardware store, still legally open in this apocalypse.

I'm trying to figure out how to secure bike intertubes to the ground, then a piece of rebar can be used as the bar; might work for a resisted squat type movement.

and yes, i am a physical therapist without gym access

Quote Originally Posted by airforcerob View Post
    idea for progressive resistance training: get a wheelbarrow. remove the legs and put on some short wooden blocks. Add load (paving stones, bricks, dumbbells, make some weights out of plaster of paris or cement and various containers). Use for squat/deadlift type exercise. and walk it around the block for conditioning. I suppose if you set in in a corner to stabilize it during the lifting it would work better. added bonus: all materials can be found at hardware store, still legally open in this apocalypse.

I'm trying to figure out how to secure bike intertubes to the ground, then a piece of rebar can be used as the bar; might work for a resisted squat type movement.

and yes, i am a physical therapist without gym access
    That seems like over-handling. You'd be better off using some 2x4s and plywood (or just any long wood and flat wood laying around) and make a class 3 lever instead. You could use less load for the same force requirement.

The wheelbarrow would probably be good for the conditioning though.

If you have a container, don't waste your money with plaster of paris or cement. Just use water. It's about 8lb/Gal and is cheap as hell as long as you don't live in Flint.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com