starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rack Pulls 101 | Nick Delgadillo

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Nick,

I am struggling with what I think is a case of hip flexor tendonitis. I'm assuming the problem is due to my squat technique, which I am trying to address.

The irritation that the supposed tendonitis is causing is really interfering with my deadlift. Step 4 of the setup is doable, but way more uncomfortable (somewhat painful) than it normally ought to be. I've had a few reps where I know I've lost some back tightness at the start of the pull, and I'm concerned that it's going to get worse over time.

I've been thinking maybe I ought to do rack pulls this Friday when I'm supposed to deadlift. Just farting around I've noticed that when I assume an even slightly higher pulling position, like in the RP, there is no pain or discomfort in the hip flexor area.

Have you used rack pulls to manage pain like this before?

Also, I am currently deadlifting 320x5 and am pulling heavy every 5th workout as per the "Phase 3" novice programming (not quite to the Advanced Novice stage). I am 32 years old, male. Let's say I do rack pulls to manage this injury. Do you think I should program them according to this article or try something else?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
    Nick, in general how far would you run rack pulls before reverting to deadlifts? Background, 49yr old, 5'10", 205#, I'm focusing on pulling a 1RM of 500 before I turn 50 in February. I hit 1x5 at 420, 1x4 at 425 and 1x3 430 and 435 doing weekly heavy pulls. My thought was to shift over to rack pulls along the lines of your article and then when those are say mid/high-500's revert to full deadlifts. Does this sound reasonable? Food is good, sleep depends on the day due to conference calls at 0400 and form remains on track.
    Most people don't revert to deadlifts for training. No need to. Rack pulls stay as the heavy pull unless you're going to a meet or you're fucking around in the gym and testing your 1RM. But if you want to pull off the floor again, you should. Just make sure you make accommodations in your program to account for the stress imposed by a full ROM heavy pul.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Hi Nick,

I am struggling with what I think is a case of hip flexor tendonitis. I'm assuming the problem is due to my squat technique, which I am trying to address.

The irritation that the supposed tendonitis is causing is really interfering with my deadlift. Step 4 of the setup is doable, but way more uncomfortable (somewhat painful) than it normally ought to be. I've had a few reps where I know I've lost some back tightness at the start of the pull, and I'm concerned that it's going to get worse over time.

I've been thinking maybe I ought to do rack pulls this Friday when I'm supposed to deadlift. Just farting around I've noticed that when I assume an even slightly higher pulling position, like in the RP, there is no pain or discomfort in the hip flexor area.

Have you used rack pulls to manage pain like this before?

Also, I am currently deadlifting 320x5 and am pulling heavy every 5th workout as per the "Phase 3" novice programming (not quite to the Advanced Novice stage). I am 32 years old, male. Let's say I do rack pulls to manage this injury. Do you think I should program them according to this article or try something else?

Thanks in advance.
    Yeah. That should work, but your focus should be on getting back to the floor ASAP. So do a few workouts with high rack pulls, go down a bit for a while, then a little more until you're pulling off the floor again. Anytime you use a rack pull to "fix" something and not because deadlifts are getting really damn heavy, the focus should be on getting back to the floor.

I'm bringing this topic back up because Nick's article is excellent and to ask a question.

A recent podcast discussed incorporating rack pulls with halting deads. My question: using the schedule in Nick's article, is it better to alternate rack pulls and haltings on the heavy day each week or do both on separate days during the week? Both in one week seems like it might result in a recovery problem especially for seniors.

The article is very clear incorporating just the rack pull. I'm just unsure how to incorporate both without overdoing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    I'm bringing this topic back up because Nick's article is excellent and to ask a question.

A recent podcast discussed incorporating rack pulls with halting deads. My question: using the schedule in Nick's article, is it better to alternate rack pulls and haltings on the heavy day each week or do both on separate days during the week? Both in one week seems like it might result in a recovery problem especially for seniors.

The article is very clear incorporating just the rack pull. I'm just unsure how to incorporate both without overdoing it.
    Alternate them weekly: Programming Halting Deadlifts | Nick Delgadillo

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you Nick

I guess my Search skills for the SS website are lacking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12