starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter to US Policymakers | Ray Gillenwater

Default An Open Letter to US Policymakers | Ray Gillenwater

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "Legislation is a blunt force instrument. Once enacted it operates like an algorithm, indiscriminately enforcing its edicts, whether or not they are justified. This is the reason why my grandmother can’t bring her own water on an airplane."

Read article

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    "Legislation is a blunt force instrument. Once enacted it operates like an algorithm, indiscriminately enforcing its edicts, whether or not they are justified. This is the reason why my grandmother can’t bring her own water on an airplane."

Read article
    Beautiful piece.

I hope some policy makers actually read it.

sb

Excellent letter.

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the article, Ray!

I agree with most of what you wrote, other than
    Five, pass inexpensive budgets for programs that will incentivize rapid progress towards building a society that can operate around a global pandemic. Give large cash bonuses to any person or organization that makes meaningful progress towards a treatment or vaccine.
    IMHO, we as potential consumers decide whether to reward entrepreneurs'/providers'/producers' efforts.

the $3 trillion printed so far
    *vomits* Why bother saving money anymore?

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Conti-Vock View Post
    Thank you for the article, Ray!

I agree with most of what you wrote, other than

IMHO, we as potential consumers decide whether to reward entrepreneurs'/providers'/producers' efforts.

*vomits* Why bother saving money anymore?
    Yep and the trouble with adding artificial incentives are the unintended consequences. I’m cautious about what I’m in favor of spending our collective money on, but I would rather have it be spent on a *relatively* small incentive program to get the attention of the world’s bio-tech talent.

If your position is that the gov should stay out of the incentives game as much as possible, I can certainly understand your point of view.

All- Thank you for the positive replies. We lost a few franchise prospects over this, which I think is probably best for everyone.

Well, I sent it to local representatives, governor and the guys in DC.

What are the odds they look at it? I will be shocked >SHOCKED< if I get anything but a form letter response.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    Yep and the trouble with adding artificial incentives are the unintended consequences. I’m cautious about what I’m in favor of spending our collective money on, but I would rather have it be spent on a *relatively* small incentive program to get the attention of the world’s bio-tech talent.
    Relatively small is relatively better, IMHO.

If your position is that the gov should stay out of the incentives game as much as possible, I can certainly understand your point of view.
    I'd go further, to post-statist "the gov state should stay out"; though, I understand that you probably would not, and I respect that.

We lost a few franchise prospects over this, which I think is probably best for everyone.
    Though disappointing in a way, it probably is best for everyone. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    I salute your efforts!

What are the odds they look at it? I will be shocked >SHOCKED< if I get anything but a form letter response.
    If you do then I hope you share it.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

sb
    I appreciate you doing that.

Yes, my expectations are low too. When I wrote my senators about the anti-encryption laws they were pushing through Congress while we were all focused on the pandemic, I received a canned message reminding me that it’s for my own safety and the safety of the children. I wonder if these people understand the implications of the complete erosion of personal privacy, or if they truly believe that this is the correct trade-off to make.

starting strength coach development program
    I would be amazed if public bureaucrats had not considered all of this, although the consideration may have been short and heavily weighted towards decisions they think will save the most lives here and now that are directly attributable to their decisions. However, the ultimate test of the limits of power of a government is whether people will allow them to do what they are doing. It seems that the majority of americans are in favour of lockdowns so it will stay that way.

Im not giving an argument on right or wrong here.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast