starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audible book recommendations for quarantine

Default Audible book recommendations for quarantine

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Anyone have any book recommendations, preferably available on audible? I finished strong enough the other day and really enjoyed listening rather than reading, since I’m able to do it while working, and now I realized I’m a shitty reader. I think most people on this forum share some likemindiness, due to the fact that we discuss and read about strength training in our spare time, so if anyone has any general book suggestions I’d love to hear them.

The Space Trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis
    I’m listening to them now and they’re amazing.

The narrator can make or break any audio book for me.

One of the best audio books ever is To Kill A Mockingbird

Another good one is Deliverance by James Dickey. Don't be biased because of the movie. The book is outstanding and Will Patton is a great narrator.

General book suggestions is kind of broad. If you pick a good reader, that helps. Some are Grover Gardner, Nelson Runger, George Guidall, Wanda McCaddon (alternate name Nadia May) and Davina Porter.

This year for my audiobooks, I liked Coach Rippetoe's reading of SSBBT (16 hours, 23 minutes).

Also pertinent, in 2020:

The Journal of the Plague Year: London, 1665, by Daniel Defoe
    read by Nelson Runger (9 hours, 17 minutes)

Here's three other all time classics (two history, one literature):

The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, by T.E. Lawrence
    read by Roy McMillan (25 hours, 20 minutes)

Street Without Joy: The French Debacle in Indochina, by Bernard B. Fall
    read by Derek Perkins, (13 hours, 15 minutes)

The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas
    read by Walter Covell (25 hours, 11 minutes)

Good luck!

I have been working through Code Talker, the biography of Chester Nez. He was one of the Navajo Indians that developed the unbreakable code during WWII. Very interesting so far.

The Martian by Weir is one. We all know the famous movie with Matt Damon; this was the book that inspired it all.

Of course, searching five-star customer reviews would also be a great place for recommendations. If thousands of people really like something, maybe you will, too.

Richard Feynman - Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman (one of the best books I've ever read. A bunch of short lessons on life from a hilarious physicist)
    Jocko - The Code, and Leadership Strategy & Tactics Field Manual (I much prefer these to his earlier books. The code is about life, the field manual is about leadership. I'm also a huge fan of Jocko's earlier podcast episodes, like 1-50, because he reads highlights out of other books).
    Ben Rich - Skunk Works (a fun true story about Lockheed Martin's cold war spy planes)
    David Epstein - Range (why you shouldn't specialize)
    Cal Newport - Deep Work (a good contrast to range, how to focus)
    Yuval Noah Harari - Sapiens, and Homo Deus (world history, and then world history as written in the future which is cool)
    Ryan Holiday - Stillness is the Key (modern day stoicism)
    Jordan Peterson - 12 Rules for Life (a swift kick in the rear)
    Wim Hof - The Way of the Iceman (how to improve BP and inflammation with cold showers, if you're into torturing yourself in that way)
    Michael Pollan - Caffeine (the history of caffeine. It's cooler than it sounds)

Huxley - Brave New World
    Anti-Christ by FW Nietzsche (don't know if it's available in audio format, but the A. M. Ludovici translation is the most reliable)
    Seneca's On The Shortness of Life. This will help you separate pointless vanity from worthwhile endeavour in your life. I gave up the guitar after reading this very important text. I realised it was just youthful vanity with no meaningful net gain.
    The Way of Men by Jack Donovan. Separates being a 'good man' from being good at being a man. Something as rare as hen's teeth these days. Fairly certain it's available as an audiobook.
    The Richest Man In Babylon by George Clason. A very useful book that teaches you how to be sensible with your finances.

This really helped me when i was in my early twenties: The Strangest Secret in the World by Earl Nightingale full 1950 - YouTube

I must have listened to Orwell's 1984 in audio format about 6 times, but i no longer think it anywhere near as relevant as people seem to think. I guess that's because so few people have read actual history, rather than the political propaganda they've heard from TV or from their 'educated' lecturers and teachers.

The Mises Institute has tons of books in audio format for free download. Just go to mises.org and type "audio books" in the search bar. Economics, history, libertarian theory, legal theory, etc., gratis.

starting strength coach development program
    I suppose it depends on your tastes, don't you think?

Lately on my list has been:

Galaxy's Edge (military Sci-Fi...it was alright. Not spectacular, but decent)

Debunking Howard Zinn (great "read" into understanding how Marxist crap got into our education system, and why the younger folks think Columbus was a racist oppressor, among other things)

Thinking, Fast and Slow (great read into how we make snap decisions and thoughtful decisions, and the pitfalls of both)

Loserthink (a great book about the lack of critical thinking today, and how to spot it)

Economic Facts and Fallacies (Thomas Sowell's work on debunking the load of crap the media tries to instill in us as fact, with some very reasoned questions and examples).

The Gutfeld Monologues (A satirical look at today's pop culture and politics)

There are others (like additional Sowell works), but these have kept me interested and thinking amidst all the droning "COVID this, Antifa that" on the TV/radio...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast