starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why almost no one should straight bar deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A paragraph down from the start there is a link to buy "Functional Strength coach 7". Why has the word "Functional" become the most mis-applied word of the exercise marketing industry? Everything that word is printed on seems to be less functional because of it.... It's like "Functional" is code word for "Complete and Utter Bullshit".

If Rip would just rename SSBBT to SS Functional Barbell Training it would do the entire exercise industry a great service by lending some much needed credibility to their use of the word. On the other hand though.... just by doing that 99% of the content would automatically vanish and be replaced by bosu ball front squats and downward dog warrior pose.... so please don't.

The AVERAGE person is uncoached so basic safety issues must play a prominent role , especially in internet instruction....

As someone who totally fucked their back up doing deadlift and rows , I mean I am scared to bend over a pick up anything because I literally could NOT walk for almost 2 weeks, I get his concerns...

So finding an exercise that still has many benefits of the deadlift.....yes, I can not think of ANY exercise that is more functional to a human being than picking something off the ground.. and everyone from homo habilis to cro magnon and the neanderthal DEFINITELY did this basic movement...

and so to create a safe version of this vital movement is a GREAT thing

That's why were are here.

No, I get it , coaching is important maybe vital....and I know you 're not looking for any pats on the back from me...hell you probably will even delete this...but you are a GREAT fucking coach...

Anyway, that doesnt change the fact that most people are NOT coached ...we can bemoan that fact all we want and that wont change ...the average person not only tries to lift weights on their own but many dont even consider instruction until AFTER their injured...

So we have to recognize that there is a substantial need in the general population for safer versions of these basic lifts

What is your suggestion? Develop a version of the Trap Bar for the press?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is your suggestion? Develop a version of the Trap Bar for the press?
    They're way ahead of you.

Well you personally are rectifying this issue in many ways ...but you actually have different coaching services and use different venues...and there is big difference in the audiences of the different venues...so maybe, if I may be so bold, because I recognize you probably thought these issues out 20 years ago...I see you want people to have an actual live coach because the margin of error is just too high in these other venues..but nevertheless you do offer internet, podcast and written forums of instruction and since you do it seems to me that you not only are trying to reach a wider audience but recognize that this may be the only and primary mode of instruction for many no matter the risks....because if thats not true...wouldn't your only message be ..."get live coaching! or you could fuck yourself up! "but no you are giving actual instruction through a remote venue and so you might as well include some instructions in safer versions of these basic lifts , and if used correctly might even encourage people to get live instruction by provoking their vanity of maybe not knowing how to lift to maximize gains...you know like heres the clean but since many of you will fuck yourself up doing this heres the dumbell row,,lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mainstream View Post
    Well you personally are rectifying this issue in many ways ...but you actually have different coaching services and use different venues...and there is big difference in the audiences of the different venues...so maybe, if I may be so bold, because I recognize you probably thought these issues out 20 years ago...I see you want people to have an actual live coach because the margin of error is just too high in these other venues..but nevertheless you do offer internet, podcast and written forums of instruction and since you do it seems to me that you not only are trying to reach a wider audience but recognize that this may be the only and primary mode of instruction for many no matter the risks....because if thats not true...wouldn't your only message be ..."get live coaching! or you could fuck yourself up! "but no you are giving actual instruction through a remote venue and so you might as well include some instructions in safer versions of these basic lifts , and if used correctly might even encourage people to get live instruction by provoking their vanity of maybe not knowing how to lift to maximize gains...you know like heres the clean but since many of you will fuck yourself up doing this heres the dumbell row,,lol
    Lifting a straight barbell off the ground isn't hard. My PR is 430 lbs and I've never injured myself. Lots of people have taught themselves how to do these lifts using only books and YouTube videos. People even figure out how to do it by just picking up the barbell and seeing what works best.

In the day and age of the internet, an illiterate person can teach himself how to do these movements safely and correctly. There's no reason for a person to shortchange his training by doing a less efficient version of a lift.

I coach people live and on the internet. What I will say is that some people pick it up just fine with online coaching, videos, and the book, and others I send off to a live coach almost immediately. Things will always happen faster with a live coach but most non-motor morons can figure this out with minimal-to-modest resources.

starting strength coach development program
    Well remember were not just talking the deadlift ...were talking about the whole catalog of basic lifts that a beginner would try...at least 10, maybe more because beginners are gonna try a lot of bullshit.....a guy may deadlift just fine but what about benching, pressing, chins, cleans, curls , squats, etc....so the question is what is the chance that a beginner without live instruction is likely to injure themselves on ANY lift....I bet its high....not necessarily ,you know , in a wheelchair for life or anything ,but enough of an injury to stop their training and possibly steer them away from weight training altogether and cause recurring nagging injury for months or years

Britney Spears Says She Accidentally 'Burnt Down' Her Gym | Entertainment Tonight

OH AND I REST MY CASE

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast