starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why almost no one should straight bar deadlift

Default Why almost no one should straight bar deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Are you trolling David?

I stopped reading the point of him worrying about bloody shins.

The man makes a decent living despite the fact that he knows nothing about strength and conditioning. He deserves our respect for that, because he points out weaknesses we should address. "We" as in not just me. Challenge silly bullshit when you see it.

Mike Boyle might be the most happily misinformed individual masquerading as an expert in this entire field.

He’s also well known for his video talking about how he never has his athletes barbell squat full depth because it doesn’t matter and half squats work better anyway because of a study he did with ten people who squatted something like 225x10 as a part of the design of experiment.

"It's really the only bilateral exercise that we still do." Good god, if this guy didn't have genetically gifted athletes for clients he'd have no clients at all.

The conventional deadlift places "sheer force" on the back. Also you have to wear tall socks to do it, which makes it practically impossible. I think you're beat this time, Rip. Check and mate.

I honestly didn't get much past that either.

At MBSC, once a trainee can execute 10 reps of an Elevated Dumbbell Sumo Deadlift (each foot is placed on a separate 6-inch plyometric box) with a 120-pound dumbbell, they graduate to the Trap Bar Deadlift.
    See, that's why Rip doesn't like or understand the trap bar deadlift. Because he never graduated to it properly.

starting strength coach development program
    Elevated Dumbbell Sumo Deadlifts? What the hell? So he cuts out most of the low back benefits by eliminating the bar, makes it easier by making it sumo, then makes it harder by making it deficit? This is the epitome of unnecessary complexity. Not to mention this doesn't prepare you at all for deadlifting with a trap bar, which is not deficit, and you can't even really do with a sumo stance. A conventional deadlift really is easy to learn if you follow the right set of instructions, I don't understand why so many people are so intimidated by it. The "shin scrape" thing is a non issue. Just wear fucking pants if it really bothers you. Yeesh.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast