starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home gym question: Why do you need 2 pair of any weight plates?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    35s are the most useless waste of space in any gym that has them. Look, we've already figured this out, but you guys have fun.
    That was my point, I thought. Why waste storage space for 35s that you could be using for 45s, and you'll already have a spot for 10s anyway.

35's came with my original York set in 1968 so I still use them but I wish I had two more 45's from that vintage.

35s are the most useless waste of space in any gym that has them. Look, we've already figured this out, but you guys have fun.
    I briefly considered buying a pair this morning when I saw them available from Rogue (don't get excited -- they're gone now), but immediately thought better of it. I'll keep waiting for the 45s.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    That was my point, I thought. Why waste storage space for 35s that you could be using for 45s, and you'll already have a spot for 10s anyway.
    35s are definitely my least favorite plate. In the colored sets the 35s are yellow. Just a horrible color. With that said, not using the largest plates commonly available would severely mess with my OCD. Take the Starting Strength logo on these posts. Is that 2 pair of 45s, a pair of 35s and a pair 25s? It drives me nuts that it isn't 3 pair of 45s, a pair of 10s and a pair 5s. Or maybe they are, gasp, metric plates? And why don't we use the metric system in the US? Because of pirates Why Doesn't the United States Use the Metric System?. By the way the Pirate History podcast by Matt Albers absolutely rocks. If you guys can't tell my office is shut down for the corona craze and I'm stuck at home with 3 young children. Think I'll take them fishing to get the hell out of the house. Hopefully we won't run across any pirates.

I didn't even know anyone made 35s. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, I have some weird legacy bars and plates that include 3s.

In a gym, probably, but at home they can be usefull.
    I use 15kg (33lbs, the European equivalent of your 35) plates at home because their radius is smaller than 20 or 25 kg plates, I'm 6'3 and my ceiling is at 8'2. If I press with full size plates, I come very close to the ceiling and any oscillation makes the plates hit my ceiling. Plus for deadlift, I just have to use one pair of bumpers and all the other plates stay off the ground. Actually, even my bumpers are 15kg as they were cheaper per kg than the other ones.

35s aren't even real. Neither are 55s.

I’ve only got one set of full radius 45 cm plates. A set of 25kg bumpers. I use them for my deadlift then have non-standard radius plates, cheap tri-grip cast iron ones: 2 sets of 20 kg, 2 sets of 15 kg, 4 sets of 10 kg and then a good handful of the smaller plates down to 0.25 kg.

The most the bar has been loaded is 242 kg for a 1RM and I worry that loading the bar to that weight but only having it sat on two plates might cause a problem? Like maybe a heavy decent hitting the floor and all that weight concentrating on a small surface area instead of across several plate thicknesses might damage the bar?

Does anyone know of any problem like this? I’ve not had a problem so far, but I’m meaning to replace my plates with 45 cm ones.

Without 35s I couldn’t press in my basement.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you. I fucking hate 35 lb plates. Waste of space

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast