starting strength gym

Thread: Keep Your Butt on the Bench | Mark Rippetoe

Default Keep Your Butt on the Bench | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "Why? you will ask. Standards, I respond. The bench press is enough trouble already, given that it is the only one of the five main lifts we use that is not performed standing in balance on the floor.​.."

Read article

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    "Why? you will ask. Standards, I respond. The bench press is enough trouble already, given that it is the only one of the five main lifts we use that is not performed standing in balance on the floor.​.."

Read article
    Thank you Coach.

One question rised up while reading this. The shortened ROM can not be the only advantage raising your butt brings. In limit reps, my butt will come up (or at least want to come up*) at the sticking point, when the bar is alread several inches above my chest, almost halfway up. That means, the ROM will not be shortened at that point, it's only the top half of the ascent left to do and raising the butt definitely helps.
    So, why is that? Lat recruitment would be my guess?

* the butt wants what the butt wants.

It changes the angles and the moment arm lengths at the shoulders. This is discussed and illustrated in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It changes the angles and the moment arm lengths at the shoulders. This is discussed and illustrated in the book.
    I should have known that it's in the book, sorry for being lazy and just shooting off my question without looking first. Which I will do now. Thanks.

I can't help but wonder at the development of these stupid fads. Eight years ago when I first stepped my fat, untrained ass into a gym I never saw anyone lift their back off the bench. The standard YMCA trainer I started with didn't teach me to bench that way. But now? Now, every time I walk in I see some fool arched like he's a lost gymnast in the wrong type of gym. It almost feels like when they work in pairs they are trying to out arch each other rather than bench more weight. Where did this shit come from? It's like the STD of weight rooms just spreading everywhere.