starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hafthor 501kg deadlift

Default Hafthor 501kg deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hafthor 501 kg deadlift

Guy's amazingly strong, almost looked easy. What does everyone think? Not valid because not in competition or were all requirements met?

A deadlift is not performed with straps. Very impressive, but not a deadlift.

It’s a “strongman rules deadlift” with suit, straps, and probably PEDs, so it’s a world record with those specs.

I think Eddie Hall et al. have a good point about records set outside of competitions, in home gyms, but while individuals in the “governing bodies“ of Strongman may agree with this, WUS sanctioned Hafthor’s lift without qualification, and no doubt the people at Giants Live and WSM appreciated the millions of eyeballs and attention he brought to the sport yesterday. So I think this will be referred to as the “world record” until it is passed of course. And I think Thor should have taken the high road and lifted 510 at least. 501 shows that Eddie lives in his head.

Who ya got in the Hafthor/Eddie boxing match? Hafthor’s bigger and stronger, but I think Eddie may be quicker and has more of a street fighter attitude.

Obviously not an unequipped deadlift, but an amazing feat of strength all the same. I doubt he's doing anything shady to fake the lift with his own equipment. He probably would've preferred to do it at a meet, but obviously that's not happening right now. Hope he gets the chance to though.

Agree with every single thing Sully said. As far as the boxing match, IF it happens, it's probably going to be an ugly boring fight regardless of who wins.

Think I would have to put my money on Eddie for the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    It’s a “strongman rules deadlift” with suit, straps, and probably PEDs, so it’s a world record with those specs.

I think Eddie Hall et al. have a good point about records set outside of competitions, in home gyms, but while individuals in the “governing bodies“ of Strongman may agree with this, WUS sanctioned Hafthor’s lift without qualification, and no doubt the people at Giants Live and WSM appreciated the millions of eyeballs and attention he brought to the sport yesterday. So I think this will be referred to as the “world record” until it is passed of course. And I think Thor should have taken the high road and lifted 510 at least. 501 shows that Eddie lives in his head.

Who ya got in the Hafthor/Eddie boxing match? Hafthor’s bigger and stronger, but I think Eddie may be quicker and has more of a street fighter attitude.
    Thor, no fucking contest. Look at the size of him and the reach.

Even our mainstream news media here in Australia showed the lift though they spent longer talking about GoT than the lift.

Still a fucking impressive feat of strength no matter how you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post

I was a bit disappointed. Before, Hafthor boasted he's so sure of the 501kg, he'll lift 520kg afterwards. Uhum, yes. And impressive as it is, I can't relate to deadlifts in suits and with straps. What would he even lift raw? 400kg???

Regarding the fight, I guess it depends on the rules. Are you sure it will be boxing, not MMA? Both are true athletes, but Eddie has more background in boxing - I suppose Eddie would need to not rely on his size and strength as he usually would. But I'd give the edge in aggression, determination and craziness to The Beast.
    Of course, the fight where the Mountain destroys the Viper is my favourite scene in the whole GoT series.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    I was a bit disappointed. Before, Hafthor boasted he's so sure of the 501kg, he'll lift 520kg afterwards. Uhum, yes. And impressive as it is, I can't relate to deadlifts in suits and with straps. What would he even lift raw? 400kg???

Regarding the fight, I guess it depends on the rules. Are you sure it will be boxing, not MMA? Both are true athletes, but Eddie has more background in boxing - I suppose Eddie would need to not rely on his size and strength as he usually would. But I'd give the edge in aggression, determination and craziness to The Beast.
    Of course, the fight where the Mountain destroys the Viper is my favourite scene in the whole GoT series.
    Suits don't add much and for some people they don't help at all. This is especially true with a conventional deadlift. He clearly gets some benefit or he wouldn't use it but not nearly to the degree you might think.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast