starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hafthor 501kg deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I doubt he's doing anything shady to fake the lift with his own equipment.
    They weighed each of the plates as they loaded each attempt.

I don't know how many others in Strongman are close to 501KG, but it will add some excitement to the next events.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    What would he even lift raw? 400kg???

Regarding the fight, I guess it depends on the rules. Are you sure it will be boxing, not MMA?
    Thor got 410kg/904lbs at a powerlifting meet (no straps no suit) a couple years ago. He dropped 430kg/948lbs mid-thigh, which looked like a grip failure.

And yes, according to posts he and Eddie made today, it will be a boxing match in Vegas.

I don’t think you can compare the conditions to those of Eddie’s lift. Also, it’s a different feat to do something for the first time. And then to go only one kilogram beyond the current record and get it on ESPN? Seems petty to me. I’m happy with the attention all this noise is bringing to lifting, though.

I find the boxing match much more disappointing, though. These guys are strongman competitors, they’re not built to go the distance in the ring. It seems like part of the zeitgeist is that everyone has t box, regardless of their profession. What’s next, Trump versus Biden? I expect the whole thing to be a boring distraction. I would much rather see them compete in a strongman event and save boxing for people who actually train for it.

I dunno, there's a lot of silliness that happens in real high-level boxing with point scoring and stuff like that. It gets tiresome when one fighter gets ahead in points and just becomes utterly nonconfrontational. I'll probably watch the match out of curiosity sometime.

I’d go for Thor I think underneath he’s quite a psycho. I do agree that it’s a circus. It seems that hype sells fights which is why native english speakers sell so many seats as they can play the publicity game whereas Eastern European/near eastern boxers struggle despite being the best around (lomachenko,usyk,golovkin etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    I don’t think you can compare the conditions to those of Eddie’s lift. Also, it’s a different feat to do something for the first time. And then to go only one kilogram beyond the current record and get it on ESPN? Seems petty to me. I’m happy with the attention all this noise is bringing to lifting, though.

I find the boxing match much more disappointing, though. These guys are strongman competitors, they’re not built to go the distance in the ring. It seems like part of the zeitgeist is that everyone has t box, regardless of their profession. What’s next, Trump versus Biden? I expect the whole thing to be a boring distraction. I would much rather see them compete in a strongman event and save boxing for people who actually train for it.
    Completely agree. Thor said he was going to drop something like 30 kilos but that still puts him at 375-ish and Eddie isn't much less. They are both going to gas so fast neither will be doing much of anything by round 3.

what benefit does a suit offer? Compression (of the quads/hams/glutes)?

Interesting how he lowers his hips at the start, but the bar does not begin to rise until his hips go up. Where have we heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    Interesting how he lowers his hips at the start, but the bar does not begin to rise until his hips go up. Where have we heard that before.
    I actually found myself looking at his form too. Not from a "he needs to fix X" standpoint of course, I'd feel like the most insufferable person nitpicking the world's heaviest deadlift like that. But just from a curiosity standpoint, I found it interesting. I noted he has a very wide deadlift stance, which I suspect is because of his proportions. Probably have to get the legs further apart to properly brace his back. I have noticed a lot of big powerlifter type guys also do the deadlift prep where they drop down really low almost like a squat, with the bar far out in front of them, and then roll it back into the shins as they come up to do the lift. I think that's how a lot of them sorta "Find their way" to end up in the right start position, but it seems like wasted energy.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I have noticed a lot of big powerlifter type guys also do the deadlift prep where they drop down really low almost like a squat, with the bar far out in front of them, and then roll it back into the shins as they come up to do the lift. I think that's how a lot of them sorta "Find their way" to end up in the right start position, but it seems like wasted energy.
    One of the lift's commentators, English strongman Laurence Shahlaei, talked about that. He said a lot of the giant guys can't get a big breath with a conventional setup, so they roll the bar out to open their chest up a little more. I'd always wondered about that too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast