starting strength gym

Thread: Horse stall matting UK

Default Horse stall matting UK

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a cheap UK site for decent rubber matting?

Cheers,
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Hi,

Cheers,
    James.
    Check out your local farm supply store. You’ll pay more for the shipping than the mats if you order online.

Hi,

Cheers,
    James.
    If you are happy with 10mm thickness, then you can get 6ft x 4ft on Amazon for approx £35. That's the best price I could find.

Thanks Soule good shout

Thanks all.

I plan to put this over concrete in my garage with a rack.

12mm and 17mm Smooth Black Rubber Gym Mat - Smooth Black Rubber Gym Mat - Gym Mats

Is it necessary to add plywood to form a platform or will this rubber @18mm suffice for deadlifts and squats in rack.

Cheers,
    James.

After a fair bit of searching the internet I bought this for my deadlift platform to replace the original rubber matting which was quite deformed after about 18 months of use.
    12 or 18mm Amoebic Rubber Flooring Mats | ARKMat
    The 18mm mat matched up nicely with the thickness of my plywood and delivery was at no extra cost. They're heavy, solid mats and I expect them to last well.

I went to a couple of equestrian and agricultural shops locally but they only stocked lightweight "foamy" type soft rubber.

Jacob

Is it necessary to add plywood to form a platform or will this rubber @18mm suffice for deadlifts and squats in rack.

Cheers,
    James.
    I think at least 1 layer of plywood underneath the platform is wise. You can screw the top layer down and, if designed appropriately, will not shift and open up gaps over time.

It will also provide some protection to floors and from noise, to add a third. But maybe not enough is added.

I am not sure if the force absorbing/dispersing property of adding a 3rd layer is worth it, but that seems to be the standard internet rec, and has worked well for me. It makes the platform+rack just to tall to place in the basement, so if you have similar alternate sites, consider that. My basement is therefore out until my oldest son moves on at least: he is too tall to OHP in the basement (yes, we have looked at camber bars etc., if we are forced into the basement we’ll probably get one. Unlikely, as I would have to remove 8x8ft of basement carpet, which is worse in my wife’s eyes than taking one stall of our garage.)

starting strength coach development program
    Easimat Heavy Duty Rubber Stable Horse Mat, 10mm x 6'x 4' (1)(rubber 10mm x1): Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

The link is the stuff I got. It's hard rubber and time will tell if how it lasts. I sit it grooved side up. At present I've got it straight on my cellar concrete floor, but the max I can deadlift yet is a measly 111 kg, so it will be a bit of time before I can tell if the concrete will be ok once the weight gets a bit heavier. I'm pretty confident it will though. Different matter for a gym with multiple people using where it would need to put up with constant punishment or for someone who lifts really heavy.