starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starting Privacy with Ben Gillenwater | Starting Strength Radio #55

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ben, I'm such a beginner at this. Did this podcast discuss VPNs? (that's not what nextdns is, right?) if it did, please say so and I will relisten.

If it did not, can you please point me in a direction thta explains it so that I can understand the what and why? I don't trust my browser search to steer me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Ben, I'm such a beginner at this. Did this podcast discuss VPNs? (that's not what nextdns is, right?) if it did, please say so and I will relisten.

If it did not, can you please point me in a direction thta explains it so that I can understand the what and why? I don't trust my browser search to steer me in the right direction.
    Hi mpalios, we did touch on the topic of VPNs during the podcast, yes.

NextDNS is not a VPN.

A VPN is a tool used to hide your traffic from your internet service provider. It does not do what most VPN commercials say (e.g., make you instantly private and secure), in fact far from it. What it does is it makes it so that instead of maybe AT&T or Verizon being able to see what you're doing online, the VPN provider can see what you're doing online. Moves the visibility from one party to another. So you get the choice of who you want seeing your online activity. Some VPN providers are specifically privacy conscious and they do not keep logs of your activity. Mullvad (Mullvad VPN - Privacy is a universal right) is a good example.

Another thing a VPN can do is make it seem like you are in a specific geographical location for the purposes of accessing streaming TV or movies. Maybe you want to watch some British content so you use a VPN with an endpoint in the UK. Or vice versa.

I hope that's helpful.

I'm planning on listening to the podcast again tomorrow morning... In the meantime, is this article accurate?

How to choose a VPN: 5 key features you must have | TechRadar

And is this list, or at least the 'top 5', viable options?

The best VPN service 2021 | TechRadar

That TechRadar article is marketing BS. They’re recommending companies that are unethical in my opinion. For example, ExpressVPN lies about what a VPN is in most of their advertisements.

I prefer the VPN comparison chart at VPN Comparison by That One Privacy Guy. That way you can choose the attributes that you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
    That TechRadar article is marketing BS. They’re recommending companies that are unethical in my opinion. For example, ExpressVPN lies about what a VPN is in most of their advertisements.

I prefer the VPN comparison chart at VPN Comparison by That One Privacy Guy. That way you can choose the attributes that you prefer.
    I figured it was marketing BS, which is why I asked here...and I"m glad I did. I'm going to listen again to REALLY pay attention to the NextDNS section this time, and put that in place.

And, you said in the pod that MOST people don't need a VPN. Would you agree with that statement if someone was going to use IPTV?

Thanks for answering my questions...and to whoever is moderating this specific board, for letting me as so many follow up questions.

I don’t think using IPTV increases the need for a VPN. I’d say unless you want to hide your traffic from your ISP, no need for a VPN.

In case it’s helpful, here are three common scenarios in which I personally would use a VPN:
    1. Corporate network access for my job (not my current job, but in the past when I worked for a company that had all its IT resources on an internal network)
    2. I want to hide what I’m doing from my ISP
    3. I’m using public WiFi like at a coffee shop or airport or hotel

Was just watching YouTube and saw an ExpressVPN ad, reminded me of our conversation here.

Ben Shapiro and Rep. Ro Khanna Clash Over the $15 Minimum Wage Debate - YouTube

The ad says that ExpressVPN "encrypts everything" and that hackers can't access your stuff if you use ExpressVPN. Bullshit. That's not how VPNs work and that's not what VPNs do. Shame on ExpressVPN.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.05.46 AM.jpg

That's a screenshot from their ad where they show how you will be safe from hackers if you use ExpressVPN. This is a blatant lie and they are knowingly misleading their audience.

OK I'm done venting. Bothers me every time I see this crap.

Ben, I think this is my last set of questions.

1) If a VPN is like a different 'tunnel', is NextDNS like having my own personal Terminator T-1000 checking who/what can see into my 'car' that's traveling through the 'tunnel', once I am actually THOUGHT the 'tunnel'? So, I can let Arnold know what I allow in, or out? May be a terrible analogy, I know.

2) the bit that I've read about IPTV (and VPN's associated with IPTV) is that it is good to have the VPN bc it prevents my internet provider from slowing my connection. Is that false?

3) Looking at the simple comparison, the only two that are mostly green, no reds, and 2 yellows are: Trust.Zone and BolehVPN. So if I decide to proceed forward, those two seem the top tier. Followed by NordVPN (the red is for business practices, which *SEEMS* to be a bit subjective.) Is my thought process around these at least somewhat sound?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Ben, I think this is my last set of questions.

1) If a VPN is like a different 'tunnel', is NextDNS like having my own personal Terminator T-1000 checking who/what can see into my 'car' that's traveling through the 'tunnel', once I am actually THOUGHT the 'tunnel'? So, I can let Arnold know what I allow in, or out? May be a terrible analogy, I know.

2) the bit that I've read about IPTV (and VPN's associated with IPTV) is that it is good to have the VPN bc it prevents my internet provider from slowing my connection. Is that false?

3) Looking at the simple comparison, the only two that are mostly green, no reds, and 2 yellows are: Trust.Zone and BolehVPN. So if I decide to proceed forward, those two seem the top tier. Followed by NordVPN (the red is for business practices, which *SEEMS* to be a bit subjective.) Is my thought process around these at least somewhat sound?
    1. I had to think about that analogy for a bit...but yah sort of. NextDNS is effectively a blocklist. It has some pre-defined blocklists you can enable so that it will prevent your computer or phone from communicating with specific domain names.

2. I'm not familiar with ISPs throttling IPTV services. I haven't experienced this myself. VPNs generally make everything slower, so I wouldn't normally direct you to a VPN service if what you're looking to do is make your connection faster.

3. I'm not familiar with Trust.Zone or BolehVPN, but if they meet the criteria you're looking for, then couldn't hurt to try them out.

As an aside, I'm writing this reply while on a VPN because I'm using public coffee shop wifi. The internet thinks I'm in LA, but I am not in LA.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234