starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We Will Not Comply | Ray Gillenwater

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As usual, Ray is making the intelligent move. (In addition to what I consider to be an ethical move)

1. The economic costs of staying closed for an indeterminate amount of time and complying with myriad unpredictable regulations will not only deter investors, creditors and business partners, but have also already put many gyms out of business. The smart move is to make efforts to show you can still be a viable business. The heightened risk must be seen as an uncontrollable environmental factor at this point.

2. Demographics: Is the type of person training in an SS franchise gym willing to tolerate unpredictable gym closures and nonsense rules? Are they the type of person who respects an organization for taking a stand? Are they less likely to be driven by fear? In addition, you have the added bonus of being able to stand apart from the thousands of commercial gyms that are too large and risk averse to even consider this course of action. If even a small amount of the traditional gym-going market notices and decides they agree with the SS corporate values, the franchise gyms come out way ahead in terms of potential customer base.

3. Marketing: One of the main challenges a startup franchise enterprise can have is getting the word out. It may not make sense for a regular individual to get arrested for civil disobedience, however even a small fine could generate a large amount of valuable publicity for a company that needs to promote brand awareness. It can be difficult to get time on the microphone. Although we hope it doesn't happen, an arrest or fine could actually fall heavily in the economic favor of Starting Strength.

This is all a calculated risk that had to be made. Sitting on the fence would not have helped. And, as Delgadillo said, they aren't real laws anyway.

What not just say that you care more about yourself and your business than the community you live in? Your statistics aggregate data and have little bearing on individual safety. They also ignore the ongoing medical problems that occur even in recovery from the virus. Long term damage to someone else's health is a price you are willing to pay. Would this be your advice if you were not a gym owner?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Suppose there is a second breakout of corona being that we don't even have close to all the facts on the virus at the juncture and it does end up being more deadly than we believe it to be at this point. Are you going to keep the gym open in that circumstance like the band members who kept playing when the Titanic was sinking?
    If the world ends, the gym owners can decide to close, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by markweiss View Post
    What not just say that you care more about yourself and your business than the community you live in? Your statistics aggregate data and have little bearing on individual safety.
    Which is it, son? The community, or the individual within the community? Do you ever bear any personal responsibility for your own well-being, or is that always a function of your betters and elders?

They also ignore the ongoing medical problems that occur even in recovery from the virus. Long term damage to someone else's health is a price you are willing to pay.
    Who ignores this? People who won't train? I'd agree with that.

Would this be your advice if you were not a gym owner?
    It would be my advice for all adults. Have you communicated your concerns to Walmart and all the liquor stores?

I just find it funny when I see someone with their mask pulled down under their chin so they can smoke. It's double funny if said person is also fat.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Thanks guys, I needed a laugh today.

Good stuff, Ray. People like you are the ones who are going to reopen the country, not goons like the above-quoted.
    Nothing like reverting to name calling because of someone has an opposing opinion. The American way. *eye roll*

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Ray, what's your email address? Thanks.
    First name @startingstrengthgyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Suppose there is a second breakout of corona being that we don't even have close to all the facts on the virus at the juncture and it does end up being more deadly than we believe it to be at this point. Are you going to keep the gym open in that circumstance like the band members who kept playing when the Titanic was sinking?
    Are you suggesting that we remain closed in fear of a potential threat? The scenario you’ve imagined is interesting, but I will not make plans to mitigate against it unless there is evidence that it is a credible threat.

As mentioned in the article: if at any time anyone feels uncomfortable, they are welcome to not join us in the gym. Their risk assessment and safety is their responsibility. It works best this way since I am not capable of being your mother and neither is the government.
    Last edited by Ray Gillenwater; 05-14-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnyperX View Post
    Nothing like reverting to name calling because of someone has an opposing opinion. The American way. *eye roll*
    What not just say that you care more about yourself and your business than the community you live in? Your statistics aggregate data and have little bearing on individual safety. They also ignore the ongoing medical problems that occur even in recovery from the virus. Long term damage to someone else's health is a price you are willing to pay. Would this be your advice if you were not a gym owner?
    #RIPcapitalism makes a product so that you and your family members can get on with their lives.

https://www.amazon.com/HW-Bumper-Inf...471037&sr=8-10

Now that I've figured out how to protect you and your family, perhaps you can figure out the best way to pay off 25 Jeff Bezos's worth of national debt.

Quote Originally Posted by SnyperX View Post
    Yeah, I think I need to step away from SS for a while. I've been around here for 10 years and have spent several $s on books, merchandise, and in-person coaching...

As Starting Strength's "narrow casting" goes into political ideology I'm not too sure I like what I'm seeing...too much name calling and unwillingness to even acknowledge someone has the FREEDOM to have an alternate viewpoint. It seems every COVID thread devolves into a useless circle-jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiekimi View Post
    too much name calling and unwillingness to even acknowledge someone has the FREEDOM to have an alternate viewpoint.
    You're right here where all these "alternate" viewpoints are being posted and somehow complaining that somehow FREEDOM to have them is a problem.

Try to be more ridiculous.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    My position, as I've outlined in detail, is that if you truly care about your community, you will consider the net harm of any action or inaction related to COVID-19 mitigation. Anything else is incomplete. An incomplete assessment that results in collateral damage of innocent people is not what's best for our communities, in my opinion. If you disagree with any of the points I've made, based on the data that I've provided, please refute them.

There is a risk of catching COVID-19 that should be dealt with.
    There is a risk of becoming seriously ill, which also needs to be dealt with.
    The risk of dying is the topic of this conversation and it appears to be limited to two well-defined groups of people, that overlap significantly - the elderly and the sick. This should not be dealt with by locking people into their homes and turning off the economy indefinitely. This will result in catastrophe, as I've outlined.

If you're at a high risk of death by COVID-19, behave accordingly. The rest of the community needs to be productive or else the rest of the community will suffer.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast