starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Feeling discouraged. Need direction

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    I second that and question whether those "children" are human or canine! 😂😭
    My daughter is 5 and pretty well behaved. My almost 2 year old son is a monster. He destroys anything that isn't bolted down. He likes deadlifting my 15 lb kettle bell though. It's pretty cute. I tell him to stop messing with kettlebells and that he should focus on his barbell training but he is still young and I think my advice has not sunk in yet.

Anyway I go to bed when they do so that's how I get plenty of sleep.

In response to Eddie's question; I have some form issues I am working on with my squat but here are some recent ones I was asking for feedback on:

Squat Form Check

I've gotten a little better with getting my hips back earlier, keeping my head down and not letting my hands roll under the bar but I suspect there is still much room for improvement. Thinking about spending some time with a coach.

Form issues not withstanding I squatted 309 today and it felt easy by comparison. The extra carbs seem to have really helped.

Squat looks pretty damn good. Seems like your heart rate is pretty high, and if you can't hold your breath, you can't really brace. Looks like you use the rebound a little, which is great, but if you don't time it right or you lose your air, it's tough to recover. Personally, I think you might move your feet a touch wider to widen your base of support, but that may affect your bounce. When I'm having a shitty session, sometimes I'll take some weight off the bar and just eat some pause squats as punishment. Keep trying new things until you're happy with your setup.

Thank you Eddie for the suggestion. Yeah I think my heart rate and my breathing have been getting up there as the weight has gotten heavier. I don't mind it. Is it something I should be concerned about?

How would you control it anyway, during a set of 5? Keep the weight light? What is the point in doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How would you control it anyway, during a set of 5? Keep the weight light? What is the point in doing so?
    Glad to hear it's not an issue. I wonder if it has something to do with all those years of crossfit and training for Spartan races. I'll resist the temptation to make a joke about doing 100 air squats or some functional fitness training to help with the heart rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    ...Post up your next deadlift, you have been leaving weight on the bar...
    Per your request:

YouTube

Keeping my hips higher was a huge help. I've still got some flexion going on, but much less than before and now my hips are not shooting up at the start. Not sure if you can tell in the video but on some of these reps I am successful in dragging the bar up my shins and I miss on a few. Still leaning back a bit too much on the lock out. Still need to work on setting my back better but to me these look better than previous sets at lighter weight. I jumped from 355-370 since you thought I was leaving weight on the bar. Previously I had pulled 375 successfully and then failed at 2+1 at 380 before I reset but those looked really ugly. A lot for me to keep working on but I don't feel like I was committing a crime picking this one up off the floor.

Incidentally, I think I will need to be switching to steel plates soon since I am out of bar space. Is it ok to deadlift with a mix of steel and bumper plates or is that a bad idea?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Sets of 5, I'm assuming?
    Certainly not sets of 7

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234