starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeling discouraged. Need direction

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It wouldn’t hurt to ask Santana on the nutrition forum or via email too. I am by no means even close to a nutrition expert, but frequently mention this because it was a big factor for me; make sure you’re consuming enough carbs, and make sure you have some before and even during your training. Maybe lower some of that protein closer to 1g/lb and up the carbs? Sport drinks worked good for me before and during workouts.

1. Post a deadlift video.

2. How often are you eating >300 g carbohydrate?

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    You only got 3 reps, without even trying for a 4th rep on the first set, but managed 5 on the second set, and 0 on the following? Doesn't seem like you've learned to grind out a heavy squat workout yet.
    My second and third sets are routinely my strongest and smoothest.

I am not getting to >300 g of carbs. I'm usually between 190-250g. Dalan is right, I gained a lot of weight very quickly at first, but the gaining has slowed quite a bit over the last several weeks. I actually have not gained any weight this last week. I am at 218 as of this morning. I hadn't been supplementing until I changed my macros a few days ago. I am taking protein now to try and get to that 350g target (my new macro goals are 350 g protein, 263 g carbs and 117 g fats). Johnsonville had a good point there about sports drinks. I always have a nice big cup of coffee shortly before my workouts. If you think I should increase my carb intake I will certainly try that.

Here is my DL set of 5 at 355 from Wednesday (again, I had reset from 375 to try and work on setting my back better). My apologies for the shoddy video, I'm not at all knowledgeable about editing and posting videos (my girlfriend did my last ones but it took her a week to do it last time and I didn't want to wait/pester her). Her phone was in the garage and it started beeping RIGHT when I started the set. I apologize for the awful sound; please mute the video to avoid that. My hips are coming up a little, could do a better job of setting my back, and it looks like I may be leaning back a bit too much at the lock-out but it's gone a little better then the last time I pulled 355.

YouTube

Thank you again everyone for the feedback, I am grateful!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Z View Post
    2. Getting plenty of sleep; usually over 8 hours, but never more than 10 and never less than 7.
    3. I've got a 20 month old son and a 5 year old daughter and stressful job
    In my world, this is a miracle.

I think my assessment of you just being a pussy and just giving up is even more confirmed now. You wouldn't even put the 5mins in to figuring out how to trim the video and get rid of the audio. You do, however, seem to know what's wrong with your deadlift already.

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    I think my assessment of you just being a pussy and just giving up is even more confirmed now. You wouldn't even put the 5mins in to figuring out how to trim the video and get rid of the audio
    Yeah I tried messing with it for a while but I couldn't figure it out and I was taking care of my sick girlfriend and my two kids, so was hoping y'all would give me a little grace there. Apologies for the poor quality video.

In any case I really focused on resting and eating this weekend and I just managed 3x5 at 307 so happy about that. I think Rip was right about it being a recovery issue. Going to try and keep my macros up and keep hammering away at it. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Z View Post
    I am not getting to >300 g of carbs. I'm usually between 190-250g. Dalan is right, I gained a lot of weight very quickly at first, but the gaining has slowed quite a bit over the last several weeks. I actually have not gained any weight this last week. I am at 218 as of this morning. I hadn't been supplementing until I changed my macros a few days ago. I am taking protein now to try and get to that 350g target (my new macro goals are 350 g protein, 263 g carbs and 117 g fats). Johnsonville had a good point there about sports drinks. I always have a nice big cup of coffee shortly before my workouts. If you think I should increase my carb intake I will certainly try that.

Here is my DL set of 5 at 355 from Wednesday (again, I had reset from 375 to try and work on setting my back better). My apologies for the shoddy video, I'm not at all knowledgeable about editing and posting videos (my girlfriend did my last ones but it took her a week to do it last time and I didn't want to wait/pester her). Her phone was in the garage and it started beeping RIGHT when I started the set. I apologize for the awful sound; please mute the video to avoid that. My hips are coming up a little, could do a better job of setting my back, and it looks like I may be leaning back a bit too much at the lock-out but it's gone a little better then the last time I pulled 355.

YouTube

Thank you again everyone for the feedback, I am grateful!
    This isn't a problem that can be fixed with excessive protein intakes. You don't need 350 grams of protein but you will benefit from 350-400 grams of carbohydrates on all days of the week. Try it out and find out for yourself.

Your hips are too low on that deadlift and you need to cover your shins to eliminate the tendency to avoid contact like you have here. These minor details matter and are the difference between an easy and difficult lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    This isn't a problem that can be fixed with excessive protein intakes. You don't need 350 grams of protein but you will benefit from 350-400 grams of carbohydrates on all days of the week. Try it out and find out for yourself.

Your hips are too low on that deadlift and you need to cover your shins to eliminate the tendency to avoid contact like you have here. These minor details matter and are the difference between an easy and difficult lift.
    Thank you Robert. I will increase my carbohydrates as you suggest. As I said before it's been a challenge to get in much above 200g. Do you have any recommendations for good carb sources I can use to hit that goal? A couple cups of white rice maybe.
    Since Friday I had been getting to 300g of protein with the help of protein supplements. Maybe I could get a meal replacement supplement with higher carbs? Maybe have something you recommend in your nutrition section, I'll go check

I'll throw on sweats next time I deadlift and be sure to get my hips up. Those are things I can fix. To be honest I was worried if my hips had been too high (I had been told this in the past), so I am glad to hear they are not because I am quite certain that my hips coming up in the lift will be less of an issue if not a non-issue if my back is set at the start with my hips a little higher. Actually pretty excited to try that the next time I train the deadlift! Thank you very much for the advice!

starting strength coach development program
    I think I misunderstood your earlier posts and now I'm a little confused...are you trying to gain more weight or not gain more weight at this point? I don't ask because I have anything to offer, I ask because it puts Roberts answers into context for me. Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast