starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Begin Starting Strength Now?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I should have kept my mouth shut on Saturday.

Today was supposed to be 242x3x5 on Squat. I got the first set, but it felt like hell and it was messy, though i did get depth. Set 2 i could only get 3 and the 3rd rep took about 5 seconds to get back up. My head almost did a 'Scanners'. I took 10 full minutes rest between sets 1 and 2. As per the 'Three Questions', i've also been eating like an Emperor, and getting plenty of sleep. I'm using a high quality 3" belt, using correct valsalva. I'm mystified.

I thought 3 weeks in was too soon for this kind of halt?

What should i do? A reset, already?

RSVP

Probably start with posting a technique video.

3 weeks probably means two things if you've already answered the First Three Questions. Either as Eric said, there's a form issue or more likely in my experience, your beginning weights were not derived correctly per the blue book. Short answer you started too heavy...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Probably start with posting a technique video.
    It's not a form issue.

I'm going to drop back to 237lbs/107.5kg tomorrow and then retry the 242/110kg on Friday. Last Friday when my squat session was 237/107.5 i only got 4 reps on the 2nd set, though i did get the 5 reps on the 3rd. I'm wondering if i made a mistake proceeding to the 242/110 the next session. Perhaps on the Monday i should instead have repeated the 237/107.5 and gotten the full 15 reps before moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrsson View Post
    It's not a form issue.
    You're missing reps on your second sets then getting them on the third. The problem is either lack of rest, mental weakness, or form. I'd post a form check.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrsson View Post
    It's not a form issue.
    What makes you so certain? You’d be surprised what these coaches can spot on camera.

It can really only be a few things. It’s in your best interest to identify things you can do on all fronts as soon as possible to prevent NLP from slowing down too much.

A reset is probably fine to address the possibility of having started too heavy. Problem now is if it’s a technique issue, you may not catch it at a lower weight, since it’s possible to get away with bad form until the weights actually get heavy.

But just entertain the thought of a form check, unless you have an SSC coaching you. Even then, multiple perspectives can be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    What makes you so certain? You’d be surprised what these coaches can spot on camera.

It can really only be a few things. It’s in your best interest to identify things you can do on all fronts as soon as possible to prevent NLP from slowing down too much.

A reset is probably fine to address the possibility of having started too heavy. Problem now is if it’s a technique issue, you may not catch it at a lower weight, since it’s possible to get away with bad form until the weights actually get heavy.

But just entertain the thought of a form check, unless you have an SSC coaching you. Even then, multiple perspectives can be helpful.
    I'll try and get a tech video up in the next 2 weeks. I don't want to put up a shitty video. I train in a small room in my 3-bed apartment. It has enough space for my power rack and there's enough space either side of that for me to load plates onto the bar. Though i have to be careful when i move the bar around or i could cave in my window. What i'm getting at is that it's difficult to get a decent angle from which to shoot an adequate video that would allow a coach to deliver an analysis from. Nevertheless, i'll have a think about it.

I did indeed reset starting Friday. All your points are good - thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
    3 weeks probably means two things if you've already answered the First Three Questions. Either as Eric said, there's a form issue or more likely in my experience, your beginning weights were not derived correctly per the blue book. Short answer you started too heavy...
    Beginning to ponder this. When i started the NLP Squat, i began at 200lbs. At this time, my 5rm was 215lbs. I've not been increasing the lift any more than 5lbs a session. I figured a 15lbs decrease was enough to begin at. I haven't been able to find in the blue book anywhere that recommended starting weights are mentioned.

The fact is, i just cannot get past 237lbs/107.5kg on the Squat. I got the 3 sets of 5 on Monday, but in the middle set i had to temporarily reset the bar as i almost got stuck at the bottom of the 2nd rep (not used to my new belt yet). After 10 seconds i did the rest of the set, and took the belt off for the final set and grinded out the 5 reps. Because of teh broken middle, i decided it best not to jump up to 242/110 today and instead redo Monday's weight with no mistakes. But i couldn't even make the 5 reps on the first set and only got 3 on the second. I'm extremely disappointed.

*If i eat any more i'll throw up
    *I've been getting adequate sleep
    *The other lifts are going up (it's getting to the stage where my Bench (215lbs) is beginning to catch up with my Squat!)

I was beginning to think that perhaps i'd simply reached my limit in strength gains on a three 5rm days per week schedule (due to the fact i'm not a total novice, and my age). The squat is after all, the only lift that gets hit 3 times per week.

I know it may also indicate a form problem for one, but can a form problem really cause the squat to stop it's upward progress at such relatively light weights (237lbs/107.5kg)??

This is really pissing me off. I'll have another look through both the Programming chapter in the Blue Book, and the Novice & Advanced Novice sections in the Grey book to see if i'm forgetting something, but if anyone cares to expostulate some wisdom relating to this royal pain in the ass here, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Yes, technique can cause you to miss lifts at any weight. Post a form check. Also, exactly how many calories are you eating? Use an app like MyFitness Pal to track a typical day. Calories matter a lot and there are ways to get more in without getting nauseous.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Yes, technique can cause you to miss lifts at any weight. Post a form check. Also, exactly how many calories are you eating? Use an app like MyFitness Pal to track a typical day. Calories matter a lot and there are ways to get more in without getting nauseous.

Due to the fact that all the other lifts are continuing their exponential increase, i think form has to be the most likely culprit in my guff squat.

Not enough calories or the fact i've reduced my creatine intake would surely affect all the lifts? Nevertheless, i'm currently getting around 3k - 3.5k calories, and i do that by essentially just trying to eat as much as i possibly can, as often as i can. My bodyweight was 178lbs when i began just over 4 weeks ago, it's now at 182lbs. My goal is 200lbs, without exceeding my current 25% bodyfat.

Also, I would think that a 4lbs increase in 1 month isn't much, so i'm curious to know about these methods of increasing calorific intake without making myself nauseous that you speak of. Do tell, kind sire.

And regarding form, basically every squat feels like shit. Every rep feels different from the other, it feels unstable and even light weights feel ‘heavy’ (or should that be, ‘uncomfortable’?). So, yes, even when studying the form guide in the Blue Book and trying my damnedest to implement the guidelines, I can’t seem to get the fucker sorted. Form video incoming soon as I can.

PS, other than the main lifts, there’s only the addition of power shrugs. Outside of lifting my life isn't very active at all.

A:
    Squat 3x5
    Pull-ups 1x10 (Mondays only)
    BP 3x5

B:
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5

EVERY FRIDAY:
    A or B followed by Deadlift 1x5 & Power Shrug 3x5

[I’ve decided I’m not going to introduce the Clean until my squat is sorted out.]

Thanks Hayden.

Troy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast