starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Begin Starting Strength Now?

Default Should I Begin Starting Strength Now?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    37 year old man, 5'9" 178lbs. I have experience training, but over the past few years i have had trouble with consistency and was misled by a bodybuilding approach which neglected programming.

As such, my numbers are as follows:

Squat 1rm 242lbs 5rm 215lbs
    Bench Press 1rm 260lbs 5rm 231lbs
    OH Press around 135lbs for 1RM, and 115lbs for 5RM.

I haven't been training the DL for over a year. However, the other day, i gave it a go and got 320 for a single.

I can get 12 full reps on the pull up.

My current routine is:

MON
    • SQUAT APRE 3RM
    • PULL UPS - 4sets
    • ROWS - 4/5 sets
    • POWER SHRUGS - 4 sets
    • CURLS (they help my press!)
    • LEG RAISES

TUE
    • BN OH PR
    • FRONT OH PR
    • BENCH PRESS
    • INC. BENCH PRESS
    • LYING TRICEPS EXT. (what Rip said is "commonly called the 4th lift")

WED
    • REST

THURS
    • REPEAT MON

FRI
    • REPEAT TUES

I'm only about 4 weeks into the above. I chose to use the APRE method in my squat since i am a total novice to programming and decided it best to choose something very simple. The other lifts, i haven't been programming; i've just been hoping to add a little bit of weight as often as i can. I suppose that is linear progression? I do like to train intensely. Also, i am generally healthy, i don't have any T-problems, and i'm actively ensuring i get adequate amounts of quality calories.

Considering all of the above, should i abandon all of this and just go ahead and begin the SS method? Or, should i squeeze what progress i can out of this 'patchwork' routine of mine for another few weeks first?

Troy
    Scotland

Looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Looks like fun.
    It is, as it should be - hard work but very satisfying.

However, having familiarised myself with the SS method via the book and the SS Youtube videos, I can see that the SS programme is superior. I just don't know if it's good practice to abandon one routine so soon simply because i've found a superior one, especially considering i have had trouble with consistency in the past.

Should you begin Starting Strength now? Yes, I think so. I don't know what that program you put there is. You will probably do pretty well if you follow the book, though.

I would begin SS if for no other reason but to simplify your workouts and get the most benefit for the time spent in the gym. That could help with your consistency.

You wrote: " I can see that the SS programme is superior". There's your answer.

Imagine you have a nail to drive in a board. You have been using a soup spoon. Rip says use this hammer because it's a better method . You agree but continue using the spoon.

Thanks for the responses. I have been looking through the book again, in particular the Progression chapter.

I understand the Squat is performed 3x per week, but the press and bench press are each only performed 3x per fortnight. Thus far, I've been training press and bench 4x per fortnight (both lifts in one session, press first then bench). If i switched to the SS press and bench frequency, wouldn't i be slowing down my progress in those lifts? Is it a case of sacrificing optimum progress on those lifts in order to make room for maximum progress on the Squat?

Your way is probably better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your way is probably better.
    Ayrsson, now it's too late. SS:BBT 4th Edition will feature your program instead of the NLP, only it will no longer be your program. It will be intellectual property of the Aagard Company and you won't be able to do shit about it. You could have been rich, but you fucked up.

Regardless of what you choose to do, it's a good idea to make sure that you're performing the movements correctly. A press that's only 50% of your bench (not even going to get into the squat/DL) indicates some room for technique improvement on at least one of the two lifts.

starting strength coach development program
    Having began the transition to the NLP, i've seen improvements in strength i never thought possible for me.

At the time i made my OP, i only had the electronic version of BB. You know what they say, "out of sight, out of mind". After Rip's caustic sarcasm, i went to Amazon and purchased tangible copies of the latest editions of both Blue and Grey books. Actually HAVING those books made a huge difference in my ability to understand the method properly.

It's astonishing to me that every day is a 5-rep max and every day it feels the same (just as Rip said) and every day i still manage to get the 5th rep of the 3rd set. I'm exactly 3 weeks in, and hoping at my age i can make this NLP last without many resets for around 6 months. I'll be reasonably satisfied with a 365lbs squat (currently at 237), but i'd really love that holy 405.

I'm making sure to do the program as prescribed, studying the chapters describing the mechanics of the lifts, implementing significant calorific increases and adequate rest between sets (in squats it normally has to be at least 6 minutes on the Monday, and come the Friday sessions it can end up being 10 minutes. In my previous training (or 'exercise') my rest periods never went over 3 minutes, as i was told that "muscles get too cold" any longer than that). I have to say that this training is on the one hand extremely difficult, especially, as i say, the Friday session. However, the flip side, is that it's extremely satisfying knowing that yet again i've FORCED THE ADAPTATION. Before every session i get both nervous and excited - my palms get sweaty, it feels like i'm going to fight. I almost hate to use this abused word, but it's very 'empowering'.

Like so many fellows, i've been led astray by the Weider Empire for many years, with very little to show for it. I always said to myself and others, "my big lifts ought to be way bigger that they are." I didn't understand, until now, that the aforementioned inconsistency was only a part of the problem.

In a few weeks i may try to upload a couple of form-check videos onto Youtube.

Thank ye kindly.

Troy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast