starting strength gym

Thread: First shoes

Default First shoes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, y'all. I'm buying my first pair of lifting shoes. No sports retail anywhere near me, so buying online. I have wide forefeet, so I don't think the Adidas stuff is going to work for me. I don't want to spend more than ~$100, but I can if a good case is made for doing so.

Looks like I can buy Reebok Lifter PRs for $75 all day, or watch for sales on Legacy Lifters or something nicer. Are the double straps or different sole materials, etc on nicer shoes worth waiting for, or will the Lifter PRs do the job and remain useful for at least the first couple years of lifting?

Is it worth considering used stuff? I'd never buy used shoes in general since the soles wear out so fast, but maybe that doesn't matter for lifting shoes since the soles are so much denser?

Oh, also, I'm really short (5'3"). Should I be looking for shorter heels because of this, or will I even notice a difference between .6 and .75?

Thanks for any thoughts or words of experience y'all can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by roncad View Post
    I have wide forefeet, so I don't think the Adidas stuff is going to work for me. I don't want to spend more than ~$100, but I can if a good case is made for doing so.
    I wear 8.5EEE and the Do-Win weightlifting shoes (the ones that are $95 here: https://www.roguefitness.com/dowin-w...es-black-white) are comfortable.

I wear an E and I use the Do-Wins. I second what CRC said.

Nice, thanks! That's a good price-point for me. Does the build quality seem good? Are the buckles on the straps made of metal? I'd read some stuff about the soles separating on Do-Wins, but not sure what model.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    I wear 8.5EEE and the Do-Win weightlifting shoes (the ones that are $95 here: https://www.roguefitness.com/dowin-w...es-black-white) are comfortable.
    I tried the Do-Win shoes at the end of last year in a search for wide fitting shoes and they came in second place for me after the Nike Romaleos 2 (discontinued). They were pretty decent and if the Romaleos hadn't worked better then I would be wearing the Do-Wins. A lot is going to depend on the exact shape of your foot and where it is wide, other issues like high instep etc. - you really need to try it for yourself. My experience was that you shouldn't listen to Rogue's suggestion to go down a half size. You can also order a couple of different sizes if you're not sure and return the ones that don't fit. Also, the Classic model Do-Win ($125) fit tighter on me than the non-classic model.

My soles on the original leather DoWin’s separated from the upper once. The cobbler glued it back together like new. That was years ago. No problems since.

Honestly, you're probably not going to notice much of a difference in height if all you're doing is squatting in them. I've had my Nikes for 4 years or so and they're in really good shape. I lift stones in em, snatch, c&j, deadlift, they're awesome. I say go for whatever it's cheapest and you'll be fine. Spend the extra money on whiskey or pre workout.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    My soles on the original leather DoWin’s separated from the upper once. The cobbler glued it back together like new. That was years ago. No problems since.
    Happened to me on both shoes almost immediately. Sure, you can glue them back on, but it is a mark of their construction quality that is mirrored in other areas. I also very quickly found the eyelets fraying and tearing that made it hard to get them tightly laced (although the double buckle helped). I still managed to get several years of use out them, which I guess made them reasonably good value for money. However, just like a belt, a well made shoe should last you most of your lifting career if you use them properly (only for what they are intended for) without having to treat them with the cautiousness as you use your mum's fine china. I've now had my Adidas Power Perfect for probably 3 times as many years as my Do Wins lasted me and they still look near new.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    Happened to me on both shoes almost immediately. Sure, you can glue them back on, but it is a mark of their construction quality that is mirrored in other areas. I also very quickly found the eyelets fraying and tearing that made it hard to get them tightly laced (although the double buckle helped). I still managed to get several years of use out them, which I guess made them reasonably good value for money. However, just like a belt, a well made shoe should last you most of your lifting career if you use them properly (only for what they are intended for) without having to treat them with the cautiousness as you use your mum's fine china. I've now had my Adidas Power Perfect for probably 3 times as many years as my Do Wins lasted me and they still look near new.
    Not arguing with that.

On the OG DW’s, I like the 0.5” heel, wood sole, and width. I had same cobbler insert eyelets, which eliminated tearing of the leather. Then I added thick Kevlar-infused laces, to eliminate fraying against the eyelets, and for a touch of extra rigidity. That was for the red pair; found an identical black pair on eBay a couple (?) of years ago, and also upgraded those with eyelets and Kevlar laces. No sole issues with the latter ever. Both sets seem like they’ll last near a lifetime now with no or minimal further maintenance. Granted, there was some initial fuss. But, fine china bah.

And hey, who wants shoes that look new? Only my eight grader is concerned about creases in her kicks. Ha!

starting strength coach development program
    Awesome, thanks, all. I have some current (not "classic") Do-Wins and some Reebok Lifter PRs (cheap!) on the way. Hopefully one of those will fit my duck feet, and I can spend the money saved vs more expensive shoes on whiskey (thanks, eddieolong).