starting strength gym

Thread: Bench press collars vs safeties

Default Bench press collars vs safeties

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    OK, I know to respect the bench press -- and it is my usual precaution to leave collars off -- BUT: I'm lifting at home alone in a very cramped space and I have a decent squat rack from Rogue with safety arms that I've tested in terms of my ability to drop the bar and escape unharmed. The problem is this: my small weights slide like a motherfucker and "normal" bar instability is going to get me in trouble when weights start sliding off in the middle of a heavy lift...

My question: Are the safeties enough? (I certainly paid enough for them...) Am I being an idiot to NOT put the collars on and trust that the safeties will save me on that one last rep that doesn't go up, at some point?

If you have safeties under the bar at the right height, you're protected. Use the collars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you have safeties under the bar at the right height, you're protected. Use the collars.
    Much obliged. That was the conclusion I had preliminarily come to, but, given the down-side risk, I wanted to check with someone with more experience in the matter.