starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why wear heeled lifters?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I'd be interested to see a video of this.
    Did I paste the link?
    YouTube

Ta.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Just curious, have you taught other women? I wonder if it's a heavily female oriented thing to have the ability to hit depth without the heels.
    No, just the missus.

Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post
    Did I paste the link?
    YouTube

Ta.
    Your "natural rebound" is higher than this. You're actually crashing into your calves. That's why you can see your knees slide forward as you hit the bottom.

Do you have a video of your low-bar squat?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Your "natural rebound" is higher than this. You're actually crashing into your calves. That's why you can see your knees slide forward as you hit the bottom.

Do you have a video of your low-bar squat?
    That was my low bar squat. I meant it was my 6th session of low baring after I had been high barring my squat for about 12 weeks. I had had trouble getting my hips involved again in the low bar after 12 weeks high barring it. Something I’m struggling with now, actually after an adductor injury- no idea why.

So you’re saying I’m shooting past my rebound position? I’ll experiment on Saturday and see if I can catch a good rebound position before I hit my calves. Thanks.

That was my low bar squat. I meant it was my 6th session of low baring after I had been high barring my squat for about 12 weeks. I had had trouble getting my hips involved again in the low bar after 12 weeks high barring it. Something I’m struggling with now, actually after an adductor injury- no idea why.

So you’re saying I’m shooting past my rebound position? I’ll experiment on Saturday and see if I can catch a good rebound position before I hit my calves. Thanks.
    I assumed this was a high-bar squat based on what you said and the diagnostic angles. You need to bend over a lot more and get your hips back.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

I assumed this was a high-bar squat based on what you said and the diagnostic angles. You need to bend over a lot more and get your hips back.
    Okay. Thanks. It was light day today with 152.5 kg. So i recorded my 3 sets, and concentrated on getting my hips back.

I didn’t have a TURBOW, but stacked two water bottles up and put my toe within a half inch of the bottles. My knee made slight contact with the bottle on 2 of the 15 reps, so my knees were definitely back and so my hips must have been back.

I tried leaning over more now that hips are right back, but I ended up tucking my arse under at the bottom now with lower and upper back flexing. It was shockingly shitty looking form.

set1: YouTube
    set 2: YouTube
    set 3: YouTube

Thursday is medium day so I am going to try hips back with a significantly wider stance. You can see in the video me shuffling my feet around to try slightly different stances. Normally my stance is very much set in its way at a narrow stance. Wide stances in the past have given me pain in what feels like the hip joints, the groin and the IT band at about 3/4 depth and it didn’t seem like the good kind of pain. But I’ll see what Thursday brings.

I tried leaning over more now that hips are right back, but I ended up tucking my arse under at the bottom now with lower and upper back flexing. It was shockingly shitty looking form.
    Disclaimer: not a coach. But I have the exact same problem as you and have been working with a SS coach on it.

The reason your back is rounding is because you're going too deep. You can see the last rep of set 1, you didn't go as deep and your form was better.

You aren't feeling the stretch reflex because your hamstrings are "winning" over your abs, and causing your back to round, releasing the tension in your hamstrings rather than creating that stretch when you need it.

You can try to correct this by focusing on being more controlled at the bottom, not "falling" into the hole. Paused squats can help a lot too with learning to stay tight at the bottom. I suspect that your knees are sliding forward because you're getting loose at the bottom and rounding butt under, so should help that as well.

His knees are sliding forward because he’s breaking his hips way before them AND holding them back too long. He’s trying to TUBOW, but not using it properly.

How much less knee slide can I get though? My toes were up against the stacked bottles and only twice did my knees even touch them, and it was barely.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay. Thanks. It was light day today with 152.5 kg. So i recorded my 3 sets, and concentrated on getting my hips back.

I didn’t have a TURBOW, but stacked two water bottles up and put my toe within a half inch of the bottles. My knee made slight contact with the bottle on 2 of the 15 reps, so my knees were definitely back and so my hips must have been back.

set1: YouTube
    set 2: YouTube
    set 3: YouTube

Thursday is medium day so I am going to try hips back with a significantly wider stance. You can see in the video me shuffling my feet around to try slightly different stances. Normally my stance is very much set in its way at a narrow stance. Wide stances in the past have given me pain in what feels like the hip joints, the groin and the IT band at about 3/4 depth and it didn’t seem like the good kind of pain. But I’ll see what Thursday brings.
    These show some improvement. Your feet appear to be way too close together as you mentioned - it's really hard to see anything with the zoom on the video.
    I would post a better video to the technique forum to go from there.

Back to the original point though; your natural rebound is not 4" below parallel. You were just squatting wrong.
    You would probably benefit from a heel on your squat shoes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast