starting strength gym

Thread: Testosterone opinion

Default Testosterone opinion

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I'm 48, 87kg, and returning to LP after lockdown.

Last year I had my testosterone checked and it was 13.2 nmol/l or 380 ng/dl.

What do people think of this result and if necessary the following action needed?

Cheers,
    James.

I'd say consult with someone like an endocrinologist who you know for a fact treats people for testosterone deficiency. 380 isn't terrible, but this is coming from a guy who's never had a test come back over 300. I will say trying to address it through a GP turned into a farce, and when I found an endocrinologist office that I saw satisfied reviews from TRT patients I got a MUCH better consultation. They will have experience treating this, and thus will be better able to provide an opinion on what is low enough to warrant any intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I'd say consult with someone like an endocrinologist who you know for a fact treats people for testosterone deficiency. 380 isn't terrible, but this is coming from a guy who's never had a test come back over 300. I will say trying to address it through a GP turned into a farce, and when I found an endocrinologist office that I saw satisfied reviews from TRT patients I got a MUCH better consultation. They will have experience treating this, and thus will be better able to provide an opinion on what is low enough to warrant any intervention.
    Cheers, much appreciated.

First question...Why did you have it checked? Usually don’t get that tested without symptoms.

380 is NOT acceptable IMO for a 48 yo male. Especially if you have symptoms (see my first question). I’m not saying to go jump on TRT but I would definitely try to determine why that number is hovering around the low end of the spectrum. Someone who knows what they’re doing can help you figure out why the number is low. I wouldn’t just pick out any endocrinologist either. I’ve seen nightmare scenarios involving them and potential low T candidates. Also, I would avoid the paper mill style TRT clinics on the other end of the spectrum who make their living selling testosterone injections.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Hi,

I'm 48, 87kg, and returning to LP after lockdown.

Last year I had my testosterone checked and it was 13.2 nmol/l or 380 ng/dl.

What do people think of this result and if necessary the following action needed?

Cheers,
    James.
    I think examining your sleep and stress levels are a good first step, unless you're specifically looking to get on TRT.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks all.

No symptoms but was starting LP and in the SS forums avidly where the subject seemed to be raised a reasonable amount.

I requested a test as part of a regular check up from a UK GP out of curiosity. But with hindsight I do suffer from low moods/energy so maybe this is a contributing factor?

Cheers.