starting strength gym

Thread: Doing a "Cut." Any Wisdom?

Default Doing a "Cut." Any Wisdom?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After doing the novice program for about 6 months I'm doing a cut. I'm extremely happy with the results that the basic SS principles have given me since I started putting weight on the bar in October 2019. I'm 36 and haven't lifted heavy since I was in college. My only modification of using a trap bar for squats comes from the fact that I'm using the equipment that I've got, so sue me. Just looking for any insights from anybody who has done something similar.

6'4, 245 LBS (up from 220 6 months ago)

Bench 267
    Deadlift 325
    Press 160
    Trap Bar Squat (I know, I know) 325
    Power Cleans 177

I've realized that my ambitious goal of having a 1,200 calorie deficit to lose 20 pounds in 8 weeks is unrealistic. It's like strength training has created this black hole inside of me and I need to eat. While I've been operating at a slight deficit for the last few weeks, it's only enough to shave off about a pound each week. I've noticed that my most-trained lift (bench) is impossible to increase during this time. Sessions are brutal to just try to maintain something that resembles the prescribed sets and reps, since I have resolved to not take any weight off the bar. My least-trained lifts like press and power cleans have been able to grow very slowly, though nothing near the 5 pound jumps that I was enjoying just weeks ago.

I feel like my brain and central nervous system is bouncing back and forth between the so-called "parent ego state" (which barks authoritarian orders) and "child ego state" (which craves constant comfort) as I try to both shave off my fat belly and maintain my strength. My very open-ended question is this: what tips and tricks do you all have that would help with efficiency, energy, and maintained strength through a caloric deficit? I'm not overly ambitious about my gains during this short time, but I do want to maintain what I have accomplished. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by centennialstate View Post
    After doing the novice program for about 6 months I'm doing a cut. I'm extremely happy with the results that the basic SS principles have given me since I started putting weight on the bar in October 2019. I'm 36 and haven't lifted heavy since I was in college. My only modification of using a trap bar for squats comes from the fact that I'm using the equipment that I've got, so sue me. Just looking for any insights from anybody who has done something similar.

Bench 267
    Deadlift 325
    Press 160
    Power Cleans 177

I've realized that my ambitious goal of having a 1,200 calorie deficit to lose 20 pounds in 8 weeks is unrealistic. It's like strength training has created this black hole inside of me and I need to eat. While I've been operating at a slight deficit for the last few weeks, it's only enough to shave off about a pound each week. I've noticed that my most-trained lift (bench) is impossible to increase during this time. Sessions are brutal to just try to maintain something that resembles the prescribed sets and reps, since I have resolved to not take any weight off the bar. My least-trained lifts like press and power cleans have been able to grow very slowly, though nothing near the 5 pound jumps that I was enjoying just weeks ago.

I feel like my brain and central nervous system is bouncing back and forth between the so-called "parent ego state" (which barks authoritarian orders) and "child ego state" (which craves constant comfort) as I try to both shave off my fat belly and maintain my strength. My very open-ended question is this: what tips and tricks do you all have that would help with efficiency, energy, and maintained strength through a caloric deficit? I'm not overly ambitious about my gains during this short time, but I do want to maintain what I have accomplished. Thanks.
    I’m going to guess that if Mark see’s this he’s going to tell you at 6 foot 4 and 245 lb with those numbers on your lifts, then you’re not done with LP and LP is not the time to be cutting calories down.

Carry on getting stronger 36years, 6’4” and 245lbs your squat and deadlift are really low for those stats. Get that DL north of 450 before even considering a cut.

If you are determined to do a cut, you want small losses per week. Large losses will be hard to sustain and may set you up for weight gain rebound issues. So, 1lb per week is totally fine. Keep protein high and try to drop fat calories to get your deficit. As long as you keep the protein high and focus on strength training you will help minimize muscle loss.

Quote Originally Posted by centennialstate View Post

Bench 267
    Deadlift 325
    Press 160
    Power Cleans 177

I would agree with other posters, 6'4" and with your weight and numbers means it's too early for a legit "cut".

If you're worried about looking a little fluffy, don't be. I've got a decent chunk of belly fat on me (5' 11", 220 lbs, not super impressive lifts) and when I had my shirt off at the beach a few weeks ago I got a couple comments from other dudes about how I look like I lift.

If anything, cut out foods like pizza, beer, anything stereotypically "unhealthy", substitue it with healthier stuff, and let nature take it's course.

He's posting on the wrong board. He's not squatting. He hasn't read the book. This is not a physique board.

starting strength coach development program
    Get your lifts up without gaining weight and it'll look like you did a cut.